It’s the little things I miss the most

One thing about a clean slate is, I want to get it done.
In an effort to find sanity one must have a workable shop space. Space must have machine tools, work areas/tables/bench and organized storage, lighting, power etc. This takes a plan and patience.
I am really trying to think of efficient design and sensible storage as I build my small shop.
I have it climate controlled with a mini-split (as soon as I install it) and I have machine tools still coming.
The Japanese concept/s may be a good thing to incorporate.

I understand what you mean. It is nice to be able to go to the junk drawers and pull out just the right part for the job vs. driving somewhere, then somewhere else when it isn't in stock at the first place. Even if it takes 30 minutes to find it, that is still less than driving somewhere.

I think I must be on a 5-S most-wanted-list somewhere. I know I have one of those somewhere is my motto. I know I have a rant in me about a couple of 5-S debacles I've seen on the job. I think 5-S can be powerful though, if implemented sensibly.

I understand what you mean. It is nice to be able to go to the junk drawers and pull out just the right part for the job vs. driving somewhere, then somewhere else when it isn't in stock at the first place. Even if it takes 30 minutes to find it, that is still less than driving somewhere.

I think I must be on a 5-S most-wanted-list somewhere. I know I have one of those somewhere is my motto. I know I have a rant in me about a couple of 5-S debacles I've seen on the job. I think 5-S can be powerful though, if implemented sensibly.
5-S? Is this something I should have in my shop? What is it used for? Where can I find it? Is it expensive (I'm retired and must horde my pennies.

Five Sigma.
Jeff, I watched the Nova program last night about the fire. WOW and Holy ... is all I could think of and how lucky it was not even worst!

Jeff I wish I had known.. . :frown 2: I would have given you a BIG Guy Hug.... if it makes you feel better a little about all my treasures.... I was doing some work in my shop (pole barn) a few years back and asked my son Alex to help lift something. While doing it he said after I pass he is going to get a dumpter....LOL.... so much for love.....lol

Last edited:
I agree, we can't understand why the death count wasn't higher.
The reason I say that?
This is a retirement community with lots of senior facilities. The roads were gridlocked.
Most of our seniors don't drive, they live alone. How they all got out I will never know.
I just found out yesterday, a family friend, Tom, who lives about a mile from us, the same distance from the fire was not able to clear his neighborhood at 7:30AM. I didn't get home to pick up my wife until 8:30. His neighborhood was fully engulfed.
Ours was black, explosions were going off, wind was whipping, we left five minutes after I got home from work.
One house on our street was fully on fire. It just depended on where you were.
Tom walked to the K-mart shopping parking lot with several others and waited out the fire storm. At 4:30 PM, he was convoyed down Clark road to safety. He spent ten hours watching his town burn.
Tom raised two boys, buried two of his brides and tutored thousands of students in his town of Paradise.
Just one more story to tell. His boys lost their homes also.

I feel your pain. We lost everything in the flood caused by IRMA in September 2017.

Mr. fixit,
IRMA was a *****, sorry to hear that.
I wouldn't wish this pain on anyone.

Back