It's the Little Things

@MrWhoopee

What is the cause of the dimensional discrepancy?

What are the ANSI codes for the two inserts you intend to use?

@MrWhoopee

The 3/32" thickness dimension of the TCMT21.51 insert is not the overall thickness of the insert (flat to flat). It is the dimension from a flat mounting face to the cutting edge on the opposite side. The overall thickness may be greater. Take a good look.

@MrWhoopee

The 3/32" thickness dimension of the TCMT21.51 insert is not the overall thickness of the insert (flat to flat). It is the dimension from a flat mounting face to the cutting edge on the opposite side. The overall thickness may be greater. Take a good look.
I checked the thickness at the cutting edge. They are indeed .010 thicker than spec.

I checked the thickness at the cutting edge. They are indeed .010 thicker than spec.

Weird!

Are they cheap import inserts?

Do you have access to a surface grinder (to thin the insert(s))?
Alternatively, do you have enough of the thick inserts that making a special tool makes sense?

Weird!

Are they cheap import inserts?

Do you have access to a surface grinder (to thin the insert(s))?
Alternatively, do you have enough of the thick inserts that making a special tool makes sense?
Yes, they are cheap import inserts, ordered from different suppliers. I would think if they wanted to skimp the inserts would be undersize. I recently got a set of inserted boring bars (also import) that use the TCMT 21.51 inserts. Those inserts are .0935 on the money.

I have no problem modifying or making new cutters based on the size of these inserts. I'm trying to figure out if that would pose a problem using correctly sized inserts. I think it wouldn't be a problem (similar to parting tool slightly below CL).

Today's little thing is a bottom cover for the Servo feed on my mill. The cover's been missing since I got it, five years ago, so I guess it's about time.

20221102_134740.jpg

Starting with a piece of 4 in. ABS drain pipe, I cut a ring about 1.25, then split the remaining piece lengthwise and put it in the toaster oven. When it was nice and soft I put it on the welding table and pressed it flat with a baking pan.

20221102_130207.jpg

Then I cut out a circle and glued it to the ring.

20221102_130622.jpg

Next it was off to the lathe to turn, face, bore etc.

20221102_134604.jpg20221102_134610.jpg

and done.

20221102_134808.jpg

Today's little thing is a bottom cover for the Servo feed on my mill. The cover's been missing since I got it, five years ago, so I guess it's about time.

View attachment 425378

Starting with a piece of 4 in. ABS drain pipe . . .

and done:

View attachment 425385

Nice!

ABS & PVC pipe and fittings can be handy starting points for a lot of low/non-stress applications.

Back