I've really gone of the DEEP END.....

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
let's see if i can verbalize these feelings i have.... i found a southbend 11 on CL
i'm going to trade a fully functional 50"s vintage Atlas th42 lathe for a southbend 11 lathe that hasn't run for a while (years i'm thinking) and i have no way of verifying the lathe even works until i get it home.
i know i'm going to need to do some wiring, the owner told me of this as it is a three phase unit. there may be other issues, unknown
He also told me a little of it's history, that it came from Mare Island Naval Shipyard in Vallejo, Ca.
Mare Island is about 60 miles as the crow flies, from me and i'm gonna pick it up in the foothills on saturday
i don't know how i'm going to sleep until saturday, i'm already planning to do a major shop rearrange to accommodate the new (to me) lathe.
i need suggestions on how to keep my mind off of this until then.......and thinking of other tools will probably not help my situation:lmao:
and i also need the name of a reputable tool counselor/ or industrial metallurgical therapist, as my affliction is seeming to get worse.
i'm doing my best to stay off CL, but the deals, the deals are incessant !
I go to EBAY, I find Nothing but tools and stuff i already have. you know you have a problem when you already have a full page of items that you are tracking shipment inbound delivery on, and know your UPS driver's daughter's name.:whistle:
i contemplate going to higher priced tool dens, but cringe at passing up a pile of used tools for the purchase of just one new tool.
thanks for reading the rantings of a self treating tool junkie.
i hope others are spared this fate, so there are more tools for me to snatch up :lmao:

Last edited:
you know you have a problem when you already have a full page of items that you are tracking shipment inbound delivery on, and know your UPS driver's daughter's name.:whistle:

I don't see the problem. I have my UPS driver's phone number, know his wife/kids names and he's come by for a beer on his day off before.

So what's the problem? :)) Seems normal to me!

Gary

:phew: i'm glad i'm not the only junkie around!
thanks guys!!

Welcome to the 11" SB club! I'm looking forward to seeing you bring that "one back to life".

(Everything here seems perfectly normal to me as well. :thumbzup: Go figure... :biggrin:)

-Ron

So, uhhh... and your point is???

What we really need is the equivalent of QVC or HSN on the TV. 24x7 tool and machine sales... It would go over big-time!

Ray

Well , I am a counsellor. I think you will be fine. Have you tried harm reduction therapy ?

What we really need is the equivalent of QVC or HSN on the TV. 24x7 tool and machine sales... It would go over big-time!

Ray

You just gave me a terrible idea! RSS feeds of saved searches on Craigslist and eBay! Oh no... This is not good, not good at all.

Back