Ixodes warning

I save the badmitten racket for the carpenter bees. :)
We have them too ! They just showed up , but they are some biggins and need the raquetball rackets . :big grin:

The wood tick can be VERY small in the nymph stages.:eek 2: I just removed one that was embedded under the skin and was
visible only as a tiny dark spot. I would never have noticed it but for the itching. It was about 1/4 the size of the head
of a pin, probably about .010 inch or so. So far I have been unable to determine if it is an Ixodes tick or a Dermacentor.
I will take a better look with a microscope and see. Also I will monitor the area where the tick was attached and watch
for any complications.

I have a new German Shepherd and I am concerned about protecting her from ticks. How many people use FrontLine Plus or equivalent on there dogs? There are a lot of deer around my place. My understanding is that deer are a major distributor of ticks?

I have a new German Shepherd and I am concerned about protecting her from ticks. How many people use FrontLine Plus or equivalent on there dogs? There are a lot of deer around my place. My understanding is that deer are a major distributor of ticks?

Used to use Frontline, then went to another product, now I use Soresto collar. Good for 6months.

Yes deer do spread ticks. but if there is no Lyme in your area then the deer ticks will not have any Lyme to spread. I live in an area that has a lot of deer but has not had any signs of Lyme so the ticks are safe as far as Lyme is concerned. On the other hand the area I very often visit is one of the hottest Lyme spots in the country. The dog and I take a lot of precautions when we are there.
For the dog I use Simparica, a once a month chewable tablet. All of the ticks I find on the dog after a walk in the woods are already dead.

We use Brevecto on our dog. In more than four years, I have only found one tick that bit him. The trouble is, he will collect them and sometimes they don't drop off before he comes inside when there is a good possibility they will end up on me. I have only had three bite in in the past four years. I treat topically with iodine when I remove them and get a prescription for doxycline from my GP. So far, I've managed to avoid Lymes.

we used Frontline, then Vectra before Soresto... the 2 previous only worked once they were on him, but we found live Ticks using Vectra on him. The doc said it was supposed to prevent them to begin with, but it didn't... so we went with Soresto which appears to keep them off of him. I like the preventive, vs the kill them after.

Back