J head Motor

Dynahoe Dave

Registered
Registered
Mine has a 1HP Fairbanks Morse type QZA Frame 4570 motor, H & W does not have bearings for it. Does anyone know what the bearings are? That way I could order them before disassembling it.

I've got a blown pancake motor with new bearings in it if you want to come dig it out. I'm in Plymouth.

I'll consider that. Meanwhile, I got the bottom bearing and the shaft out of the motor. But the top rotor piece and the bearing stayed attached to the stationary iron part / body. How does that come off?

Got the rest apart.
Top bearing is a 6207, common single row ball bearing.
Bottom is a 5605 which so far is non existent, and I can't even find anything that says it ever existed. The 5 indicates double row ball bearing, which it is. But the 6 doesn't match current numbering systems.

But using dimensions, it matches up to 5305 which at least shows up in catalogs.

Last edited:
At least those links seem to show names I recognize for the manufacturers. I didn't bother with amazon or ebay, due to past experience just getting flooded with cheap Chinese junk, which I won't buy, especially for bearings.

At least those links seem to show names I recognize for the manufacturers. I didn't bother with amazon or ebay, due to past experience just getting flooded with cheap Chinese junk, which I won't buy, especially for bearings.

Also you have to be careful buying bearings from someone like that, bearing stores usually do not accept returns.

You might want to try these people:

http://www.locateballbearings.com/

They specialize in obsolete, outdated, and overstocked bearings. I purchased several from them when rebuilding the Worthington drive on my Sheldon. They carry high quality name brands at reasonable prices. When I was doing this job I checked several bearing houses and online vendor. These people had the top of the line bearings at lower prices than some vendors offering Chinese made junk.

Back