J head value?

DiscoDan

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
How much should I pay for this head? Haven't seen in person.

00i0i_vfOEDnfvwD_600x450.jpg

See my latest separate post. It is part of a home made drill press that is for sale near Baltimore. He wants $1000 and says he is firm. Too rich for my blood!

Wouldn’t even waste your time or effort. Unless you get a Bridgeport and want a spare head.
All that thing is, is a drill press with auto feed on the quill if it works. Would’ve a bad investment of your money IMO.

I'm interested in people's opinion on value as well. Just this evening I picked up a 2J 2 HP head that was supposedly completely rebuilt for $450. The guy worked at a shop that closed. He said he bought the head when he left and it had been sent out for rebuild but hadn't been put back into service yet prior to the shop's closing.

I'll know in a few days after opening the thing up whether it is, in fact, rebuilt. The guy also gave me a box with a bunch of bearing and the two belts in it that he said was returned from the vendor with the head after the rebuild.

I'm sure a totally rebuilt 2HP 2J head is worth more than $450!

Ted

I'm interested in people's opinion on value as well. Just this evening I picked up a 2J 2 HP head that was supposedly completely rebuilt for $450. The guy worked at a shop that closed. He said he bought the head when he left and it had been sent out for rebuild but hadn't been put back into service yet prior to the shop's closing.

I'll know in a few days after opening the thing up whether it is, in fact, rebuilt. The guy also gave me a box with a bunch of bearing and the two belts in it that he said was returned from the vendor with the head after the rebuild.

I'm sure a totally rebuilt 2HP 2J head is worth more than $450!

Ted

If it has a motor on it, I would just fire it up and listen to it. If it doesn't rattle then it's proabaly OK.

It would be worth more than $450 to the right person, but finding that person might be a bit difficult. This is one of those items that if you need it, you really need it, but if you don't really need one then it's not worth much. I might buy one to put on the shelf as a spare, but I wouldn't pay much for it. I actually have most of one on the shelf that I got for free. If my machine was down then it would be a lot more valuable to me. A set of bearings for the drive system and belts is about $150. If the spindle was also rebuilt then that would be worth about $600, the cost of a spindle rebuild.

If it has a motor on it, I would just fire it up and listen to it. If it doesn't rattle then it's proabaly OK.

It would be worth more than $450 to the right person, but finding that person might be a bit difficult. This is one of those items that if you need it, you really need it, but if you don't really need one then it's not worth much. I might buy one to put on the shelf as a spare, but I wouldn't pay much for it. I actually have most of one on the shelf that I got for free. If my machine was down then it would be a lot more valuable to me. A set of bearings for the drive system and belts is about $150. If the spindle was also rebuilt then that would be worth about $600, the cost of a spindle rebuild.

The reason I bought it is because I refurbished the head on my mill after I bought it and the previous owner didn't replace the Delron (or whatever material) bushing in time and the motor shaft and keyway were badly worn as well as the movable lower pulley was all egged out. I "fixed" it by boring out the pulley and making oversized Delron bushing for it. It is running fine, but I don't know how long it would last.

The reason I didn't fix it "right" by buying new parts was the cost. Even a rebuilt motor is very expensive. I had also considered welding it up and re-machining, but that comes with risks. The lower pulley was around $200 bucks alone. Even the used prices i.e. eBay are steep.

So, even though my machine is currently running with my home brew fix, for $450 I'll have a head that will be totally up to par.

Ted

The reason I bought it is because I refurbished the head on my mill after I bought it and the previous owner didn't replace the Delron (or whatever material) bushing in time and the motor shaft and keyway were badly worn as well as the movable lower pulley was all egged out. I "fixed" it by boring out the pulley and making oversized Delron bushing for it. It is running fine, but I don't know how long it would last.

The reason I didn't fix it "right" by buying new parts was the cost. Even a rebuilt motor is very expensive. I had also considered welding it up and re-machining, but that comes with risks. The lower pulley was around $200 bucks alone. Even the used prices i.e. eBay are steep.

So, even though my machine is currently running with my home brew fix, for $450 I'll have a head that will be totally up to par.

Ted

There you go :) you needed it and the price was right ! On the other hand, I would (did) eliminate the veri-drive and go with a direct drive. Works much better, and is actually less cost than replacing the veri-drive components, but still around $500 if you include the VFD. The belt & pulleys are about $150 or so.

Back