Jacobs 14n bearing

Mike Millis

Registered
Registered
Hey all I picked up a seriously nice looooooking Jacobs 14n. It looked barley used, if at all. When I spun the collar it made a very odd sound. That I could only describe as hollow sounding. so I figured I would tear it down and grease it...…

So I tore it down and found the plastic bearing cage is torn. Does anybody know where I can get just a new bearing? and not a complete rebuild kit. I don't want to spend $100+ on a whole kit when I really only need a bearing.
chuck2.jpg
chuck1.jpg

chuck3.jpg

Sometimes NOS rebuild kits turn up on eBay for reasonable prices, but it might be some time before one turns up.
Have you tried contacting Jacobs directly to ask if they sell bearings individuallly?

There is currently a Jacobs 14N special race kit listed on eBay for $59.95

There's also a complete 14N chuck for $50.00

I have the bearings but that is not an old stock chuck or else I'd get them to you.

ddickey- what do you mean old stock chuck?

Can someone shed some light on what the old style and new style means?

Older made in USA ones use individual ball bearings that are loose. Newer chucks that list the SVC Kit # on them use the caged bearing you have. Also the etching (instead of engraving) is an indication of newer chucks. There were engraved ones too that use the caged bearing.

Older chucks can't use the caged bearing unless switching to a conversion bearing race.

The one I linked to on eBay is an older style chuck. The chuck name, number and style are all engraved in either the body or the sleeve. The name and number are etched in the body on the one in your pictures.

The one you purchased is the new style that is made in China, the older US made versions are engraved with different lettering. One of the issues with the current version is the plastic retainer ring for the ball bearings and tolerance issues are often worse. You would need to get a replacement for the current model, looks like you need a complete service kit JCM30345, not cheap but eBay item listed below is about 1/3rd of list..

Did some further internet surfing, this is a that supplier lists the retainer race and balls as a separate item, you will need to contact them as to which model/style it fits.

Last edited:
Back