Jacobs 14N USA Made + Rebuild Kit

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Here's an awesome deal assuming the chuck isn't abused. Older made Hartford USA model 14N on a R8 arbor plus rebuild kit. Condition looks pretty nice too. Has owners name electrically etched on the nose. Than can be removed though if it matters to you.

Currently at $40, just the rebuild kit is worth that or more since they are getting harder to find now. $100 buy it now which is still an excellent buy! If I didn't have 3 of the Hartfords already I would've purchased it already.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/292146459695?ul_noapp=true

That is a great deal, Will. I am surprised nobody has jumped on that yet. I recently got a 14N free from a buddy, but it did not look that good before I took it apart and cleaned it up. This is the 'after' pic. Had surface rust and lots of engraving. I had the #3 key on hand already, I think someone has replaced the handle on it, extra long...
SAM_1673.JPG

Guys, these are excellent chucks, finest quality, and are no longer being made in the US. Grab them while you can! Get the ball bearing "Super Chuck" ones that say Hartford on them. Some of the earlier ones do not say "Super Chuck" on them. As long as the model number ends with "N", AND the chuck says "Hartford" on it, it is the good stuff...

Here's an awesome deal assuming the chuck isn't abused. Older made Hartford USA model 14N on a R8 arbor plus rebuild kit. Condition looks pretty nice too. Has owners name electrically etched on the nose. Than can be removed though if it matters to you.

Currently at $40, just the rebuild kit is worth that or more since they are getting harder to find now. $100 buy it now which is still an excellent buy! If I didn't have 3 of the Hartfords already I would've purchased it already.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/292146459695?ul_noapp=true

There are no photos of the rebuild kit, just the box. Seller doesn't offer returns. I would write to the seller first.
I agree, USA Jacobs 14n's are harder to come by in good shape these days. I got lucky and found a USA 14n, NOS and NOS rebuild kits with race, bearing balls complete.
I even have a spare 14n sleeve. 14n Bearing balls are 3/16", (McMaster-Carr).
Great deal on Ebay for both. I see them now selling for $150 and more!
I have not seen this since I bought mine almost two years ago., that and NOS Jacobs USA arbors.

In fact, all USA made Jacobs chucks in great or new condition are becoming more rare as they die out. So if you have one, keep it in good shape and try to find rebuild kit. Albrechts are always available of course, but there's nothing like a good N series Jacobs USA., especially for Power Tapping.

I read recently in Guy Lautards MBSR that you can true up a chuck with a 1/4" ceramic rod. By closing the jaws lightly over the spinning chuck/jaws on a lathe.
I digress.

Back