Jacobs 18N Super Chuck

Randy did they keep the USA chuck and send you a china one ?.

Yes, they kept the one I sent them. I am not certain that the one I sent them wasn't a chine one, it was only 5-8 years old (not sure myself). And ya know, I am uncertain of the origin of manufacture for the replacement. I guess I didn't look because it seemed to be of good quality. I am now going to have to check it out you know?

That’s madness... what fairly tale land is this in?
No proof of original purchase?

I am pretty sure they were able to recognize their product and could tell it wasn't real old and abused. I was honest with them as to where I had bought it and how long ago, and that I was only a hobbyist. They had no obligation what-so-ever to replace it. They happily surprised me.

They had no obligation what-so-ever to replace it. They happily surprised me.
I'd say... That stuff just doesn't happen in this day and age. It's really nice to hear when a company or manufacturer still actually cares about their product and takes care of their customers.
One of my wife's jobs is like that. They gave her $100 gift card to a local store and thanked her just for working for them! Just out of the blue. Not a birthday, or holiday. Just because. I damn near fell over...

My drill press (Providence Drill model K) had the 18N chuck wrapped in shrink wrap and set outside for 6 months, effectively putting the chuck in a glass of water. Pressed it apart and got it all cleaned up. Ended up replacing the bearing balls from McMaster-Carr for $8 and while the jaws could be crisper I think it will suffice.
Chuck

Picked up that chuck today and to my surprise I got two. They look dirty but I think decent shape. I might keep the one that has the 3MT shank. The better one has a 5MT shank.

You should be able to remove the shank and then replace with whatever taper you need. Sounds like you got a good deal.

I ended up keeping the 5MT chuck as it seemed to be in a bit better shape. Sold the MT3 one to a buddy for $20. Never bothered to look as I assumed they were USA made ones. After cleaning up some with the 3M Scotch Brite belt I can now read everything. It says JACOBS USA among the size and rebuild kit #. Do I for sure not have a USA made chuck? I sent an email to Jacobs but haven't received a response yet.

"Jacobs USA" does NOT necessarily mean a USA made chuck. Those are at least partially imports. The real deal will say "Hartford, Conn. Made in U.S.A." on it.

Yes, Bob K. is correct. A real USA made Jacobs chuck will have Hartford, CT. USA engraved on the sleeve.
Svc. Kit Jacobs were models that were being outsourced. Not sure if the entire chuck was made in Asia.
Dark Zero has a good write up here.

So the other chuck that I sold to my buddy from work is a made in the USA 18N. It needs a rebuild but the kits are $200. I'm thinking it is not worth fixing. Any thoughts on that?
I called JTS as the link is broken above and they said they can get the kits from Jacobs but are way expensive. She said they want you to buy the new imports rather than rebuild the old beauties.

I have rebuilt several USA made Jacobs N series super chucks by just cleaning them, inspecting them, removing burrs, etc. and putting them back together. After the hardened grease and chips are cleaned out, and the chuck is put back together properly, they have all worked like new. Maybe I am just lucky, but I would not buy a rebuild kit for one without first finding a chuck that really needs the kit but is in excellent condition otherwise.

Back