Jacobs chucks

mf294-4

Active User
Registered
Bought a 18N and need to remove the arbor that is in it. Is there a thru hole in the chuck? Looks like there is a hole. I had it in a press and no success. Need more press? 2nd chuck has 3/4 16 threads, does anyone make a r8 arbor for it?

The 18N has 4JT taper and can get quite stuck. Maybe try warming up the body a little and then more press as you put it.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

What size MT?
If a 5 you can get it out with a vise.

Bought a 18N and need to remove the arbor that is in it. Is there a thru hole in the chuck? Looks like there is a hole. I had it in a press and no success. Need more press? 2nd chuck has 3/4 16 threads, does anyone make a r8 arbor for it?
If there is not a hole visible in the chuck, you can drill one. Doing so will not damage the chuck if done properly. It is usually pretty obvious if there is a hole or just a dimple in the bottom of the chuck. You will be able to see the arbor through the hole, 1/4 - 1/2" deeper, using a good light.

Chucks wedge off, there is a slot between the two tapers. I've made the wedge with an angle grinder, but you can buy them already made. My mild steel ones weren't all that good, but did work.

The wedges are the way I have been using and all instructions seems to go that direction.
What do you do with the hole?
Drive it out?

Back