Jacobs Flex collet chuck

Bentley18

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone,
I purchased a Kerry 1124 lathe which came with some tooling. One of the items is a Jacobs flex collet chuck with one collet. Should I buy some collets for it or sell and by an ER collet system?
Thanks,
Dave

IMG_0456.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

So long as its not worn out I would keep the Jacob's flex system. I dont know much about them nor do i have personal experience with them but from all the videos ive watched the Jacob's brand seems to be a pretty solid setup, or at least the older stuff was!

Those flex collets seem to work well if you have good condition ones but the flex collets are pretty expensive. If you can score some good used collets for a fair price might as well use it. I wanted to get a flex collet system a while back but it was not worth it to me. Good if you already have them (like if it came free with the lathe) but not worth buying if you don't IMO.

I have Jacobs spindle nose chuck on my Clausing lathe. There are 11 rubber flex collets that will hold anything round between 1/16" to 1 3/8". It is extremely repeatable which makes it nice if you have to rechuck a part.

Man , that's an old one for sure . That doesn't have the aluminum closer wheel on it or is it just not pictured ? I have owned the flex chucks for all my machines in the past . No problems ever with them . I have a D1-8 and a L0 mount right now with 2 full sets of flex collets + extras . Matter of fact , they are on the bay now . I need to pull the L0 off and bring it into work for the Colchester . The collets are readily available on Ebay , but make sure they are in good shape , and get the plugs if you can .

I have one just like that that fits my Logan lathe. They take 11 collets that cover from to 1/8 dia TOO 1 3/8 dia. If you bought all the collets of any kind to cover that range you would most likely have more cost than buying the 11 rubberflex ones.
I have two of the kind shown plus about 6 or more with the wheel type closer.
You can find the collets on eBay for about $20 each. New they are about twice that much last time I looked.

Man , that's an old one for sure . That doesn't have the aluminum closer wheel on it or is it just not pictured ? I have owned the flex chucks for all my machines in the past . No problems ever with them . I have a D1-8 and a L0 mount right now with 2 full sets of flex collets + extras . Matter of fact , they are on the bay now . I need to pull the L0 off and bring it into work for the Colchester . The collets are readily available on Ebay , but make sure they are in good shape , and get the plugs if you can .

You'll be happier with the ER or 5C setup by a long shot.
The Jacob's will damage soft materials, if it was so good, why is it not made any longer.
If you could get everything free, it would still be only OK, but not the best.
Good Luck!

If you look at the collets you will see that they have a lot of holding power just like a six jaw chuck.Look at the collets and each metal piece is a jaw which is ideal for holding tubing.I think the reason for not being made anymore,no one could afford it.Look at it like this,anything made in those days where made for machine shops and not hobbyist,so they had to work well or no one would buy them.If they were made today,it would have China stamp on them still be expensive.

Back