Jacobs Flex collet chuck

I'm going to start looking for collets on ebay. I remember using one of these collets in high school. It was like the one I have but one that had a wheel that would ratchet.

You will like the Jacobs RubberFlex system. They hold without damage to the work and allow for leeway in sizes much like the ER system. We run three lathes, all with the RubberFlex chucks as the main go-to unless we need the extra precision of the 4 jaw. All of our RubberFlex chucks/collets are accurate to within .0005.
We have 5C collets as well but, the 5C system has a very narrow window of fit per collet.

The Jacob's will damage soft materials, if it was so good, why is it not made any longer.

Most likely because China don't want to make them , and they won't damage soft materials if you put that torque extender away . :grin:

Also, excessive tightening is not necessary. They have plenty of grip.

I think the rubberflex sets cost around $2000 in the 1950 ‘s. Anyone have any old catalogs from that time?
And I have never seen any damage to parts from these collet chucks.
I also have this style collet chuck to fit Hardinge 5c ,2j and 3j collets.

My go to collet is still the 5c because it is so common and can use step collets and hex and square and ID collets. And the BIG plus is some thing most home shop don’t think about is how simple it is to move the collet to the mill or grinder or drill press to do the next operation . Like drill a hole pattern or mill a slot . Into the OD or face of a part.
It’s easy to move a 5c to a spindex or Hardinge index fixture. Many people don’t think about moving the collet to a milling or drilling 2nd operation. Often you can take an ID collet and turn a part around and face, turn, and thread the part without having to find another way to hold it for the second oper. That can save a lot of time.
Jim

Back