• June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Jacobs Flex Collets ...

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

FOMOGO

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Have a chance to pick up a set of Jacobs flex collets 1/16-1 1/4" for $80. anyone know what sort of chuck these are held in and if this would be a good purchase. Thanks, Mike

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
Here's a picture of one. Normally a bit expensive, but nice chucks.
32436d1299975073-jacobs-rubber-flex-collets-dsc_0630.jpg

chips&more

Active User
They came with hard rubber plugs. The plugs were used when you had to hold stubby work. The plugs went in the back of the collet and prevented the collet from clamping at funny angles. I have a Jacobs set and plugs. Can’t say I use them much, not at all in the last 20 years. I like my Buck chuck too much. It chucks just about everything I have to hold and I can center the part dead on. But would I sell the Jacobs set…NO. If you don’t have a set yet, then get it! You never know! Don’t forget, you will also need the collet holder/chuck, or make one…Dave.

Last edited:

Low tech

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
eBay has many listings for those collets right now . There are several chucks also . You just need to find one that fits your lathe . I like my Jacobs Rubber Flex collet system and use them quite often .
Steve

Jimsehr

Active User
The rubberflex collets work great if you need collets over the standard 5c size . I used one to repair my 5c collet tube that is 1 3/8 dia . I built up the worn out
threaded area with weld then recut the threads for the 5c collet size on my Logan lathe. The collet chucks when new were pricey but now you can pick one up
on ebay for a good price.
jimsehr

Uglydog

Active User
I like my jacobs rubberflex.
They hold stock within a range of sizes including metric as the expand and contract.
Anything larger than the collets goes in my 4jaw.
The chucks are readily available depending on the backing plate you need.
Daryl
MN

rmack898

Active User
I have two sets of Jacobs Rubberflex collets and a chuck but I can honestly say that I have never used them in the 6 years I have owned them. I'm sure that by having them in my arsenal, one day they will save my ass on a job but that day has not come yet.

Holescreek

Active User
I have many chucks and collet holders to choose from but my Rubberflex chuck stays mounted to my lathe 95% of the time. It is the most accurate and easiest to use chuck and by far the safest since there are no spinning jaws to catch anything. It's shortfalls are that it only holds up to 1 3/8" bars and they is not the best for taking heavy cuts unless the end of the material is riding on a tailstock center.

FOMOGO

Active User
Thanks for all the feedback guys. If they are still available next week I will go take a look at them. Found out they're in two sets @ $80 each, but may see if I can make a better deal. Not really at the top of my list, but they popped up on Craigs list and looked interesting. I would think they would tend to cut down on harmonics and might leave a nicer finish. Mike

Jimsehr

Active User
The set should be 11 collets ,holding stock up to 1/38 dis. I think I would look for a set
Of collets and chuck with the right back plate for my lathe all in one. Jimsehr

mmcmdl

Staff member
Mike , got 2 sets of these collets and an L0 and L00 chuck . What size lathe nose do you have ?

Reeltor

Active User
If anyone has an extra set of the plastic plugs, I wouldn't mind a set.

Here is a nice little video of how to use the collet chuck

Enjoy,

Mike

Scruffy

Active User
I've got one that I use on my American pace maker. It's nice when turning smaller diameters. I don't like spinning a 12 chuck very fast. I'm. Chicken I guess.
Thanks ron

mmcmdl

Staff member
Where do you get hold of these? Ive been looking for one for my lathe
I have them in my basement . What are you looking for exactly ? These are left over from my old lathes .

4GSR

Rules Violator
Banned!
This is starting to turn into "Items For Sale".
Keep in mind H-M frowns on this in all areas that are not considered classifieds.
All I ask, if a transaction does take place to consider a small donation, 1 to 5%, to H-M since the items were mentioned here for sale.
Ken

mmcmdl

Staff member
This is starting to turn into "Items For Sale".
Keep in mind H-M frowns on this in all areas that are not considered classifieds.
All I ask, if a transaction does take place to consider a small donation, 1 to 5%, to H-M since the items were mentioned here for sale.
Ken
Nah , I wouldn't or couldn't ship overseas , but I pledged to donate 5% to HM for anything I would happen to sell on the site + $100 a year donation . Nels knows this . Dave

Str8jacket

Ive been chasing a L01 chuck for a while but the only ones ive found have been $800 second hand with "some" damage. Thought there might hve been a good place to source them?

John_Dennis

Active User
I just bought a Jacobs L-00 rubber flex chuck and collet set for 250 on ebay. I am looking for a couple of L-00 backplates for my 5c chuck and Hardinge J2 collet chuck. The Hardinge currently has a L-0 which I could trade.

bfd

Staff member
what I find most useful with the rubber collets is turning around end on square stock. when I was helping the local high school build their robot I needed to make some axels on square stock. so I picked a collet that had metal pieces that would divide into 4. this collet had 12 metal dividers. I centered the square stock on these 4 points and tightened the collet the part only ran out .002". so then I turned the end round. flipped it end for end and turned the other end. worked perfectly. also they work well for thin walled parts bill

Scruffy

Active User
I bought a l-02 chuck and compete set of collets about 5 years ago for 200.00 .luse them if i’m Making several of the same ,never thought of using them for square stock. Have to refer that.
Thanks Ron in ohio

[6]
[5] [7]