Jacobs Flex Collets ...

FOMOGO

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Have a chance to pick up a set of Jacobs flex collets 1/16-1 1/4" for $80. anyone know what sort of chuck these are held in and if this would be a good purchase. Thanks, Mike

Here's a picture of one. Normally a bit expensive, but nice chucks.
32436d1299975073-jacobs-rubber-flex-collets-dsc_0630.jpg

They came with hard rubber plugs. The plugs were used when you had to hold stubby work. The plugs went in the back of the collet and prevented the collet from clamping at funny angles. I have a Jacobs set and plugs. Can’t say I use them much, not at all in the last 20 years. I like my Buck chuck too much. It chucks just about everything I have to hold and I can center the part dead on. But would I sell the Jacobs set…NO. If you don’t have a set yet, then get it! You never know! Don’t forget, you will also need the collet holder/chuck, or make one…Dave.

Last edited:
eBay has many listings for those collets right now . There are several chucks also . You just need to find one that fits your lathe . I like my Jacobs Rubber Flex collet system and use them quite often .
Steve

The rubberflex collets work great if you need collets over the standard 5c size . I used one to repair my 5c collet tube that is 1 3/8 dia . I built up the worn out
threaded area with weld then recut the threads for the 5c collet size on my Logan lathe. The collet chucks when new were pricey but now you can pick one up
on ebay for a good price.
jimsehr

I like my jacobs rubberflex.
They hold stock within a range of sizes including metric as the expand and contract.
Anything larger than the collets goes in my 4jaw.
The chucks are readily available depending on the backing plate you need.
Daryl
MN

I have two sets of Jacobs Rubberflex collets and a chuck but I can honestly say that I have never used them in the 6 years I have owned them. I'm sure that by having them in my arsenal, one day they will save my ass on a job but that day has not come yet.

I have many chucks and collet holders to choose from but my Rubberflex chuck stays mounted to my lathe 95% of the time. It is the most accurate and easiest to use chuck and by far the safest since there are no spinning jaws to catch anything. It's shortfalls are that it only holds up to 1 3/8" bars and they is not the best for taking heavy cuts unless the end of the material is riding on a tailstock center.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. If they are still available next week I will go take a look at them. Found out they're in two sets @ $80 each, but may see if I can make a better deal. Not really at the top of my list, but they popped up on Craigs list and looked interesting. I would think they would tend to cut down on harmonics and might leave a nicer finish. Mike

Back