Jacob's Rubber Flex Collet Chuck-Lessons learned

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I traded for two Jacob's Rubber Flex Collet chucks a few months ago. Having no experience with them I had no expectation as to accuracy or total indicated reading of run-out.
The first time I mounted the better of the two, I placed a 1/2" to 9/16" (I think) put a piece of stock in and checked TIR. I was very disappointed to find it was in excess of .005".
I took them apart and cleaned-oiled them. I also used my precision stones (thanks Bob) to de-burr the outside of the collets. The set came with three boxes of collets including the square and hex I believe.
I checked TIR again, no better. Then I watched a Youtube video on a method of mounting the D1-6 chuck loosely and tapping like you would a 4 jaw chuck. That helped a little bit but still not very good.
Last weekend I decided to get to the bottom of this issue. I decided I would try clocking the way I mounted it and try to identify and mark the best clocked position true to accuracy. In the process, I found that when I really tightened the lugs, the TIR got much better.
Eureka! That's the trick? Tighten the lugs of the cam lock? Really tight? = YES.
I have less than .001" on every collet I tried. Each collet was cleaned and deburred.
If you have struggled with your Flex collet chuck, try it.
I hope it works for you.

I traded for two Jacob's Rubber Flex Collet chucks a few months ago. Having no experience with them I had no expectation as to accuracy or total indicated reading of run-out.
The first time I mounted the better of the two, I placed a 1/2" to 9/16" (I think) put a piece of stock in and checked TIR. I was very disappointed to find it was in excess of .005".
I took them apart and cleaned-oiled them. I also used my precision stones (thanks Bob) to de-burr the outside of the collets. The set came with three boxes of collets including the square and hex I believe.
I checked TIR again, no better. Then I watched a Youtube video on a method of mounting the D1-6 chuck loosely and tapping like you would a 4 jaw chuck. That helped a little bit but still not very good.
Last weekend I decided to get to the bottom of this issue. I decided I would try clocking the way I mounted it and try to identify and mark the best clocked position true to accuracy. In the process, I found that when I really tightened the lugs, the TIR got much better.
Eureka! That's the trick? Tighten the lugs of the cam lock? Really tight? = YES.
I have less than .001" on every collet I tried. Each collet was cleaned and deburred.
If you have struggled with your Flex collet chuck, try it.
I hope it works for you.
I have the set and seem to have extra run out BUT I have L00 mount. I do like the flex ability of the Collets. I got my chuck for $30 sold as not working parts. Helps if you pull the ring out to mount the Collets.

I have the set and seem to have extra run out BUT I have L00 mount. I do like the flex ability of the Collets. I got my chuck for $30 sold as not working parts. Helps if you pull the ring out to mount the Collets.

I have an L1 mount and find that my TIR is measured in the low-end of tenths. I would expect L-series mounts are much more repeatable due to the taper.

I DID find when I got mine that I had to adjust the backing plate connection to match my lathe, but my runout is basically non-existent.

I will have to see if there is some adjustment in the back p look plate, thought it was inteagal to the chuck

Thinking about having to really pull the chuck into the tapered register makes me think the fit is tight, that's a good thing right?
I always make sure to run my hand through both mating surfaces to watch for chips/debris.

I got a Jacobs spindles nose collet chuck with my lathe, but it had no backplate. I bought a semi-finished backplate with an l00 mount and cut it to fit the chuck. I also have basically 0 runout. I think that cutting it on the lathe had a lot to do with that. I really that chuck.
The only bad thing that I have heard about the Jacobs sncc is that if you take very heavy cuts, the metal fingers in the collet can lay over. I don't think that I could ever push things that hard with my 1hp Clausing.

Yeah, I can see a potential problem with taking an aggressive cut. Unless the steel fingers were touching metal to metal (bottomed out) there has to be some lateral flex.
It's a quick way of holding cylindrical parts that should be able to repeat. I haven't tried yet.

Yes, extremely repeatable. I read somewhere that the reason that it was discontinued was because of the price point, around $6000 in todays dollhairs.

The manual mentions that multiple impacts from the tightening ring insures the grip on the part.
I have suspicions that the TIR is reduced as well when the collet is fully seated

The manual mentions that multiple impacts from the tightening ring insures the grip on the part.
I have suspicions that the TIR is reduced as well when the collet is fully seated
I haven’t read any manual, good to know.
Thanks Mike.

Back