Jacob's Rubber Flex Collet Chuck-Lessons learned

I have two A6 Jacobs collet chucks. Both have integral mounts so no adjustments possible.
My smaller 500-series chuck (1") capacity has a removable backplate so it can be fine-tuned to a couple tenths TIR.

Yep, I check pretty regular to see if anything pops up that I can use, I suppose I should set some kind of alert but I doubt there's anyone else looking for them or somebody in China would list them. I'm pretty sure a Chinese supplier could get their hands on one but that would make dealing with Germany look easy.

All I have right now is the stock 3 jaw chuck that came with the machine. I had one place in Georgia offer a stock 4 jaw but I had no way of making sure it was the right part and I was looking at freight for that and a bunch of other stuff I no longer need.

I checked out CME right after you posted it on this thread, good stuff there....

John

If I were you I would use your 4 jaw independent chuck and put the back plate from the 3 jaw on it, then patiently search for 2 more backplates.
I would consider a 4 jaw a necessity, and the collet chuck and 3 jaw niceties.

I agree on the necessity of the 4 jaw, honestly I'm thrilled with the Bison I got yesterday, it looks like it's never been used.

Unfortunately my 3 jaw has an integral backplate, I figured out that a "C" mount size 5 is the same taper and bought 3 backplates for $100/ea a while back with the intention of modifying them to work on my machine.

Here's one of them.
8C26F9BD-083C-4D1D-AD1F-1C9AB9927B54.jpeg

and here's another one mounted on the lathe.
698CB0BB-750D-4F15-B6A8-11743484D8CF.jpeg

I think Bison sells one specifically for my spindle and will check with a dealer to get pricing and availability but my hopes aren't high for it being less than twice what I paid for the 4 jaw and Jacobs chucks combined.

1aceb660b108425d4d2d3954be6077c1.png

John

Last edited:
Maybe you could just buy 1, and then duplicate it. Thats how China got where they are today!

I figured out how to cut my backplate. My dad left me this huge chunk of steel which should be more than rigid enough when bolted to my cross slide to bridge the gap and get me up close to the backplate. Just need to drill a few holes and attach the toolpost but if I can get the 4 jaw mounted I should be able to get the the Jacobs mounted too.

E7600C6A-279C-4B9E-AD16-C851D573891F.jpeg

John

Last edited:
Here's what mine looks like. If you were to look up the model #, it is supposed to have a different backplate on it. Also, notice that it bolts on from the inside. It registers on a shoulder cut into the backplate.
16138492106365180101457668067775.jpg

^^ It appears an L-series backplate has been adapted to fit an integral body A6 chuck.
I may try this if/when I get my LOO Clausing project lathe going.

Back