Jacob's Rubber Flex Collet Chuck-Lessons learned

I had a D1-8 mount , LOO and I now have an L0 mount Jacobs with a couple full sets of collets . I used them all with good success over the years . I unfortunately sold the L00 and D1-8 and am left with only the L0 . I need an L00 mount Jacobs for the Clausing lathe I own now . If anyone has an L00 and needs an LO mount , I'm definitely in for a trade .

Yes , these chucks were very expensive back in the old days .

Along these same lines , this past week we removed a metering pump for one of our extruders in at work and disassembled it for a major cleaning as it was packed with carbon . It very much reminded me of the Jacobs internals . This pump was $20 grand to replace so I could see why the Jacobs would be expensive . I'm going to install this pump back on the line today so hopefully we get some good results . #2 finishes and flat to 7 light band specs all over this thing .

Dave, you can get an 6 1/2" l00 back plate from CME for, I think they are $68. Then just cut to fit. I have bought 2 from them the tapers fit perfectly.

I bought one of these chucks with a 2" 8 tpi backing plate.

Any chance they ever made a DIN 55027 spindle mount, or an A1-5 A5 backplate that I could look for? Is there such a thing as an A5 to A6 adapter? I have some backplates that I'm trying to make work once I get my gap back and installed

I actually drilled and tapped one for the lugs rather than the kludge in my post but It seems like I'll need to fill in the holes, then cut a 4" taper into the front of my backing plate.

Sounds like it would be worth the effort from what I read in this post but would be much easier with something closer to what I need.

John

Last edited:
Or, would it make more sense to sell this one and buy a cheap ER collet chuck. We are talking about a Bolton lathe here after all....

John

The backplate on thoseis removable, it doesn't matter what model it is. Just get a backplate to fit your machine and cut to fit.
Awesome chucks!

I had a Jacob flex with D1-4 non removable back plate (darn) I got a backplate for L00 and unscrewed the D1-4 mount studs and with adaptor used those mounting holes for the Loo back plate to the jacobs chuck. I do like that chuck and use it all the time.

The backplate on thoseis removable, it doesn't matter what model it is. Just get a backplate to fit your machine and cut to fit.
Awesome chucks!
I have some backplates that I'm making work for this machine (the real ones DIN 55027 are ~$600 and have to be special ordered from Europe). The challenge will be cutting the taper with the existing holes in the A5 backplates I have. Instinct tells me I should fill those holes in before cutting but how is the question.

John

Yeah, what is up with that design that makes them so expensive? I understand something like an L1 being expensive, but that looks like a pretty simple plate with a taper on it.

Never really looked to see if the back plates were removable before this . If they are , I could've saved myself $300 bucks on an L00 .

Back