Jacob's Rubber Flex Collet Chuck-Lessons learned

Yes, I seem to remember taking a giant retaining ring off of the front of mine to remove the hammer ring. The bolt heads are under there.

Too late now , I already bought an L00 chuck , but I'll take a look right now for future reference . Maybe someone on here needs one .
Yes, I seem to remember taking a giant retaining ring off of the front of mine to remove the hammer ring. The bolt heads are under there.

Remember, if your work does not extend through the collet you need to support the back end of the collet. Jacobs supplied a rubber plug for that purpose. ER collets need support on the back end if the work does not go all the way through.

Be careful with that hammer ring. You can squash thin walled parts.

Yes sir , retaining ring is located behind the nosepiece , maybe I'll split the L0 tomorrow during the snow storm . :encourage:

So, consensus is hold onto it and make it work with whatever lathe you have?

I believe tbat is what Jacobs did, and then assign different model #'s to the same chucks with different backplates.
I think the A6 refers to the taper on the chuck body, if it were an A5 it might bolt right up to my spindle. As it stands I have these A1-5 A5 Rapidhold backplates that have the right taper and hole spacing for my DIN 55027 spindle.

DSCN1471.JPG

Stock 3 jaw on the right, backing plate on the left.

DSCN1507.JPG

Holes that I think I need to plug to avoid an interrupted cut.

DSCN1508.JPG

I do have some time to figure it out since another member here @Cooter Brown has the gap piece for my lathe (which he's kindly repairing for me) and I think I'll need it to get close enough to make a good cut on the backplate.

20200907_211054.jpg

I know it's really improvising but when I finally figured out what the spindle on this lathe is I contacted Rohm who referred me to a dealer here in the bay area and I got a quote on the right backplate. Yes, it was over $600 and had to be shipped from Europe. They do show up on eBay in Germany for some reason (maybe it's a Russian spec) but communicating with sellers and getting them to ship to California is pretty tough.

If I can get my 4 jaw mounted I might be able to modify the backing plate that came with it but I'm worried about stacking errors becoming a problem.

4jawc.jpeg

John

Last edited:
I think the A6 refers to the taper on the chuck body, if it were an A5 it might bolt right up to my spindle. As it stands I have these A1-5 A5 Rapidhold backplates that have the right taper and hole spacing for my DIN 55027 spindle.

View attachment 356030

Stock 3 jaw on the right, backing plate on the left.

View attachment 356031

Holes that I think I need to plug to avoid an interrupted cut.

View attachment 356034

I do have some time to figure it out since another member here @Cooter Brown has the gap piece for my lathe (which he's kindly repairing for me) and I think I'll need it to get close enough to make a good cut on the backplate.

View attachment 356032

I know it's really improvising but when I finally figured out what the spindle on this lathe is I contacted Rohm who referred me to a dealer here in the bay area and I got a quote on the right backplate. Yes, it was over $600 and had to be shipped from Europe. They do show up on eBay in Germany for some reason (maybe it's a Russian spec) but communicating with sellers and getting them to ship to California is pretty tough.

If I can get my 4 jaw mounted I might be able to modify the backing plate that came with it but I'm worried about stacking errors becoming a problem.

View attachment 356033

John

I'm sure that you already searched Google and eBay, right? I have mentioned before that my go to for chucks and backplates is CME.
What chuck or chucks do you have fitted to your lathe right now?

Yep, I check pretty regular to see if anything pops up that I can use, I suppose I should set some kind of alert but I doubt there's anyone else looking for them or somebody in China would list them. I'm pretty sure a Chinese supplier could get their hands on one but that would make dealing with Germany look easy.

All I have right now is the stock 3 jaw chuck that came with the machine. I had one place in Georgia offer a stock 4 jaw but I had no way of making sure it was the right part and I was looking at freight for that and a bunch of other stuff I no longer need.

I checked out CME right after you posted it on this thread, good stuff there....

John

Back