Jacobs SuperChuck No. 14

rcbondo

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I need help identifying this chuck that came with my Atlas lathe and I have some questions. It doesn't open or close all the way so yesterday I had to create an arbor for a 3/8" chuck with 3/8" - 24 thread mount to hold a small bit in the tailstock. It wasn't close to center like the Jacobs but I got by. I've been reading many threads here and I understand why a thread mount chuck will not center as well as one with a taper. And I also learned that a Jacobs SuperChuck is a nice chuck. Here are pictures of the chuck.

Jacobs SuperChuck1.jpg
Jacobs SuperChuck2.jpg

Any idea how old this chuck is? It is stamped "Jacobs Mfg Co. Hartford Conn USA" along with multiple patent dates. Is this No. 14 the same as a 14N? All I find in searches is 14N and all of those do not have the knurled ring. I found expensive rebuild kits on eBay but they are expensive. Some posts here show how to disassemble and clean so I will start there. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

If Methuselah was the previous owner, I would think it would be a keeper.:eagerness: Joking aside, it has to be fairly
old judging from the knurled surfaces. A disassemble, inspection,cleanup and lube would be a good thing.:encourage:

ps: It's not all rusted up so Methuselah must have saved it from the flood.:cheerful:

Sometimes just disassembling these things, de-burring sharp edges, cleaning, and putting in new grease can cure lots of ailments.
Make sure to keep track of jaw locations (each are different) and make sure each jaw can be moved throughout the range of motion. I recently had to stone one jaw on a Jabobs chuck to keep it from sticking.

You will need to turn a sleeve to press off the outer shell. I made one from a black iron coupling coupling. It has to just fit over the upper end of the chuck body. Recess the jaws before doing any pressing.

I have several Jacobs chucks that have knurling. If I remember right, the patent date on mine is 1903.

Thanks for the suggestions. This chuck has patent dates of 1902, 1909, and 1915 stamped. Yesterday I found a thread with pictures and instructions for disassembly, inspection, and cleaning so I will get on it. And thanks for the tip to create a sleeve to remove the outer casing. I'll post back with my results.

I think you have a super chuck.
by taking it apart you will find out for sure if it has ball bearings. The regular does not.
there are many videos online of building them. That chuck should clean up well and be a good chuck. it looks clean

edit: here's one that cleaned up but was totally roached before.

I have a Jacobs catalog from the 70's and it only lists the 14N. Yours looks pretty old, so maybe
the first version of the 14 series. Nice score.

I was inspired by Mr Bozo to disassemble a rusty Super Chuck. Evaporust and some polishing cleaned it up nicely, but it suffered from rusty balls. I think that there were about 25 of them. McMaster sells ball bearings of every size. You just measure a good one and order a box of 50.

I was inspired by Mr Bozo to disassemble a rusty Super Chuck. Evaporust and some polishing cleaned it up nicely, but it suffered from rusty balls. I think that there were about 25 of them. McMaster sells ball bearings of every size. You just measure a good one and order a box of 50.

I watched the Mr. Bozo video and several other videos and disassembled the chuck today. There was some weird gunk in there but it looks pretty good. Everything is soaking in a parts washer right now. I have the ball bearings in a small container of solvent. Good to know that McMaster sells ball bearings if I need them. Thanks for the tip.

Back