Jacobs Taper

Looking at a mill this weekend maybe it will save me some money from buying the grizzly. I know im going to need the drill chuck as soon as i get my mill so i guess ill have to buy a new chuck. Such a bummer. Do you think a 5/8 chuck will be to heavy for a tail stock in a 7x14 lathe?

I would tend to think so, but that is only my opinion. There are a million ways to do this stuff, and a million different answers. The biggest problem is that it will use up valuable bed length.

well ill buy another chuck just in case and another shank.

If you look around you might be able to purchase a decent chuck and arbor for a reasonable price, especially if you don't mind purchasing imported. Doing so will give you the increased ability that you need while saving you some money. If you find a need for a high end chuck down the road, you can always add the finer tool to your collection at that time. A lot of the import tools available are more than adequate for the work that most of us hobbyists do. Take a look at some of the items that Shars Tool offers, you might just be pleasantly surprised. There are other vendors out there that supply good imports too, but I have had very good luck with them.

I just bought a shank for the imported jacobs ill just haveto figure out how to pull that arbor out of the chuck. Any ideas? It has a set screw at the bottom but it doesnt seem like it does anything.

Back