JB weld for cast iron repair

Devcon epoxy where to buy, showed Walmart, Lowes, Ace. It was using my computer location though.

Also maybe I can apply the glue and bolt the motor in one operation. Letting the epoxy cure up after imposing the additional mounting bolt compression force on the horizontal foot.

Would certainly be in final alignment. Just thinking, (dangerous) would the broken foot be the last one to do the final tightening on? This is probably ONE OF THOSE CHICKEN OR EGG QUESTIONS.
Have a good day
Ray

Went out looking for Devcon today. Of course none to be found. Any chain stores on the west coast known to stock it?
Google devcon they are a USA company and should ahve a supplier locator. I tried it but only got suppliers in Australia, but included major hardware , tool and engineering supplies. Or asa last ditch effort give them a call.

If you are concerned about the join pulling apart, you could wrap the leg either side of the join with wire mesh and trowel epoxy all over it, just make sure that youve thoroughly cleaned the area first. I';m sure it will be a great success.

LocTite makes a new metal/epoxy that looks promising.
JB Weld just doesn't adhere very well to metal, metal to metal, even after sanding & degreasing.

Glenn, one thing to consider is that some epoxies don't perform well if you bolt/clamp the part too tightly: they require some thickness between the parts. Before you purchase you might want to check the manufacterer's recommendations
on clamping.

I'm not all that familiar with epoxies like JB weld, but I've worked with woodworking epoxies. I know that when overclamped, joint failure can occur.

Last edited:
Glenn, can you post a few photos of what you want to repair ?
dgehricke

Belzona gets AAA+ rating. Any good Epoxy should work just to stop fretting if the bolts are taking the load. One thing I've foung worth taking a close look at it the alignment of all contact points,(all the feet together), as often when bolting or pinning if the broken bit is not mounted in place with some sort of glue before drilling it usually ends up not exactly square with the world which puts strain on the joint when bolted down that can lead to failure or stress transfer.

At the areo space company I worked for 10 years we used nothing but Devcon. It's cool to make small ??? for the kids too.

Back