JB Weld

Submachine

Registered
Registered
I thought I would start a thread for different ways to use my favorite expoxy JB Weld

My most recent use was in trial assembly of metal components. I wanted to do a trial assembly, but I need it to be a strong bond. JB did the trick. Afterward, use heat gun and the pieces fall apart.

I've used it for lots of things- I repaired a badly cracked interior plastic door panel on a 98 Corolla with JB and little pieces of metal hardware cloth.
I layed little bandages of the cloth over the cracks and imbedded them with the epoxy. Worked great and saved money too.
mark
PS heating the JB with a light bulb makes it cure better with no stickyness

I have successfully repaired aluminum fuel tanks that actually had holes in them from deep pitting, both gasoline and diesel tanks. I did the fuel tank of the boat in my avatar over 10 years ago. Fill the actual holes and deep pits with JB Weld, then a layer of fiberglass to protect the repair and the rest of the tank bottom.

I've had great success fastening sheet metal parts together with JB. It really helps to lightly sandblast the mating surfaces ... seriously improves grip strength. I've also used it to fill in "oops" holes in ~.060 aluminum prior to painting. Lightly chamfer both sides of the hole, so the JB will have a "head" on both sides to hold it in place.

I've used to for all kinds of stuff. My most extreme was while in college I rebuilt my 66 VW beetle with the original 1300 engine. As I was hauling the parts in the garage for the final assembly I dropped one of the cylinders and broke off 4 fins. 1300's are rare and I was broke so I JB'd the fins on. I kept waiting for a problem or to hear the rattling of the fins, but when I tore it down at 120,000mi. They were still intact and there was no sign of the cyl have a hot spot or anything. Remarkable stuff.

I have the Polytec version. What is “to bed” ?

Bed the heel, side, and front of the receiver in the epoxy. End result, the receiver is set in epoxy, so movement when the rifle fired.

The Polytech are very nice copies of the GI M14 dimension wise. I have a couple of them, I will re-barrel one into 6.5 Creedmoor.

Last edited:
Many years ago, a friend of mine casted a block of JB Weld and milled an integral barrel and receiver out of it. Came up with a working .22 LR single shot monocoque pistol made of 90% JB. He's still alive and has all of his fingers.

(from mobile)

The original JB Weld was definitely high temp heat resistant. I remember using it to fix a crack in a thermostat housing mounted to a engine block on a 327 chevy engine. Never leaked until I sold the car a year or so later. Now I can afford the right part so haven't tested the newer mixes for such extreme projects, but for general epoxy "fixes" it's not a fix all, but when used within reason it's never let me down.

Back