JB Weld

Here's how I would do it: First, glue the parts back together with JB weld. Then after it's good and cured, drill a hole through both parts from underneath at an angle and JB weld a pin (perhaps made from a piece of coat-hanger wire) in there. Should be very strong.
mark

Here's how I would do it: First, glue the parts back together with JB weld. Then after it's good and cured, drill a hole through both parts from underneath at an angle and JB weld a pin (perhaps made from a piece of coat-hanger wire) in there. Should be very strong.
mark
1) I would use a taper pin (with the JB Weld as above) if you have the capability.
or 2) clamp then drill a tiny pilot hole. Tap the base side & clearaance drill the other side. JB weld it when you bolt it together.

The ZAMAC traverse gear case on many Atlas Craftsman lathes is notoriously fragile and breaks easily - and often.

Mine exploded into many pieces, so I used JB Weld to glue it back together and reverse-engineer a new one made of steel. Worked great.

Traverse Case - Epoxied Failed Case.jpg

Last edited:
I have yet to try Zamak but I know it can be oxy acetylene welded soldered or brazed with the right aluminum solder or braze. Somebody did it to my Zamak ratchet case on my Atlas 7b. I'm hoping to run into a broken ratchet case or other Atlas Zamak piece to experiment with. TinMan sells the solder, brazing rod and flux etc for gas welding aluminum and special goggles. Expensive but it really works as I've gas welded aluminum with his products and it is first rate.

Interesting posts. I have just ran into a problem with a bandsaw blade guide assembly. I broke it, and am unsure about how to go about a fix. It was brought to my attention that the material is most likely samak. Do any of you, with a lot of experience with JB, think that it might be suitable for my application? I have posted pics. View attachment 283245View attachment 283246View attachment 283247View attachment 283248
P.s. I have never tried JB, at the time of this post.
I would be tempted to try JB Weld, I suspect it might work for a long time. Two exceptions, if safety is involved, or if this is load bearing to any significant degree. I had a failure on a bandsaw table centerplare I fixed using JB Weld. I suspect vibration and perhaps cleanliness was the root cause.

I'd clamp it and then drill 2 small 1/16" drift pins. Taper pins might be better but then again might add another crack so personally I'd just use regular drift pins. Then JB and pin it. i've also used pins and JB for broken teeth on low stress gears. I drill and pin where the broken tooth is and then fill valley with JB.... and then eyeball reform the tooth profile using Dremel tool. Its a real quick fix. Not perfect but gets you up and running. Last time I did this was on a Craftsman wood Planer. Still working. Did it on my lathe also to get it running until I could order/find replacement gear on Ebay.

Back