Jeep project

682bear

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The Jeep is a 1998 Wrangler, 4.0 liter inline 6 cylinder with the 5 speed manual transmission... it has around 275,000 miles...

I bought this Jeep in 2011... it was my daily driver until 2018, when a young lady ran into me... she hit the passenger side front wheel and tire HARD...

Her insurance company decided to total it... but the settlement was for more money than I paid for the Jeep, and they let me keep it... with a salvage title, of course... so I didn't argue about it.

It sustained no body damage at all in the accident... but it will need a replacement front axle, all four control arms, tie rod, and track bar. Also, the frame has a five degree twist... and may be bent toward the drivers side a little. The wheel was badly damaged, also, but I have three sets of the wheels, so I've already replaced it.

I actually drove the Jeep home after the accident... about 40 miles. It didn't drive right... pulling to the right constantly and the steering wheel was at a 45 degree angle.

Anyway... I was rearranging my shop this morning and rolled the Jeep outside for the first time in 3 years...

I'm considering repairing it and applying for a rebuilt title so I can put it back on the road. The engine still ran great when it was parked, but it hasn't been cranked in 3 years, so I'm sure the fuel system will need some attention.

I rebuilt the 5 speed about a year before the accident, so it should still be fine.

I'm guesstimating $3500 to get it back legal... at what Jeeps are bringing these days that seems pretty reasonable, but it will always have a rebuilt title... so won't ever be worth as much.

20220915_131335.jpg

20220915_131402.jpg

I'm looking for opinions on whether this is a worthwhile endeavor, or should I forget it?

Thanks- Bear

Get the frame pulled and throw a new front end under it and call it done. Its an older vehicle, so used parts should be easily found at a local wrecking yard (ie: less $$$). If you do a "youpull" you can probably buy the axle and take it off the frame at the control arms and the yard will probably just let you roll it out with the arms/track bar/etc still attached.

Personally, I'm not a "Jeep guy", but that 4.0 I6 is a stump puller and they seem to go forever. Can't fault them for that. 5 speed is nice, better mpg and fun to row the box.

As a driver or maybe an off roader build up, I'd keep it for a second vehicle if nothing else. Lots of fun to drop the top and cruise around in summer. Or I'd give it to a family member that needed a car. Lots of options there.

Or you can sell it, but (as you mentioned) that write off is always going to be there and will drag the value down. The uninitiated will also look at the 276,000 and probably balk at anything resembling a higher (or even fair market) asking price. A 4.0 I6 has a fair amount of life left in it at that number, but the average buyer sees anything over 100,000 as living on borrowed time.

Last edited:
Oh man... are you asking for financial advice or moral support??

I want a Jeep so bad... so far I have been able to experience them through friends that have them... they bring them over for me to install accessories or fix this or that...

One example ( from 2011!!!) .... 1999 TJ - Before

B1.jpg

After

B3.jpg

B2.jpg

So yeah! I would make it road worthy and enjoy it... forget about selling it!! But that is me... I never get rid of any vehicle project...

Last edited:
Well... this one was my first... you always remember your first, right?

;)

I've owned 3 Jeeps... in 2013 I bought a '97 with a badly rusted frame and did a complete frame swap...

20160920_185252.jpg

I swore I'd never do a frame swap again...

But... then in 2018, I bought a '99 with a badly rusted (and broken) frame and did another full frame swap...

20181018_115122.jpg

Again, I swore I'd never do another...

We'll see...

I really wish I had kept the black one...

-Bear

I have a '97 Cherokee and I'm partial to those, more practical, you can carry more stuff in 'em. Maybe consider getting one of those with a bad engine and swap parts? The Wrangler bug never bit me so I can't advise, but the 4.0 L is terrific- runs forever. The AW-4 auto trans is excellent too
-M

Back