Jeep project

I'm with sdelivery as to getting it running and making sure everything still works. Check the steering gear and mounting area.

Maybe sell it as is. Someone looking for a good body and maybe decent frame to build a offroad vehicle could be interested.

You didn't mention what you plan to do with it? That can a big difference in how I would proceed. The frame fix would be next for me. If you can't find a replacement front end local check the jeep forums, someone might be upgrading and have a good one to sell. Or depending on your needs you can put in a upgraded axle from the start.

You can pretty much buy everything and build one from scratch. As an example of thinking outside the box, Ford Explorer rear are popular with some of the jeep crowd. They come with rear disc brakes and are a 8.8" which is considered a pretty good rear end. Many weird options out there.

It looks like a nice jeep.

I'm not much into fixing up cars/trucks, but I do like to fix up the old machines. From my retirement perspective, I think you're putting too much emphasis on price/cost/value. What matters is will you enjoy doing it as a hobby, and will the end results be something you want to use. Otherwise part it out or have it hauled off. Two things that are way too easy to accumulate, clutter, and future "projects". I'm guilty of both.

This morning, I took the throttle body off, then removed the idle air control valve and MAP sensor and cleaned it all thoroughly. After putting it back together, I put a battery in, then disconnected the fuel line and pumped a little fuel out.

It looked and smelled fine... the last time I put fuel in it, I added some Sta-Bil to keep it from going stale, so hopefully the fuel system is ok.

I reconnected the fuel line and hit the starter...

It shocked me how fast it cranked and idled... it runs like I was just driving it yesterday! I was surprised....

I pulled it out of the shop and drove it around the yard...

20220916_115017.jpg

20220916_115041.jpg

You can tell from the gaps between the front tires and fenders that the suspension is screwed up.

-Bear

Last edited:
Worth can be counted in many ways
value of the vehicle in fixing then reselling
value to restoring and using as a casual toy
value as hoping years to come it has antique value
value as I restored this

keep your jeep, I wish I would have kept my old 67Jeepster commando and my 74 cherokee. I have had more than 7 jeeps and still have my 46 special and my two 1950 pickups----they are too much fun to own.
Dave

The plan right now is to do the bare minimum to pass the DOT inspection and get a rebuilt title. That will include replacing the axle and suspension, getting the frame straightened, installing a new muffler and tailpipe, and replacing the windsheild ( the current one was cracked before the accident and I never replaced it... but they won't inspect it with any cracked glass).

After I get a rebuilt title, I plan to do a good bit more work repairing things that it needed before the accident, such as new shocks, new carpet, etc...

-Bear

If you would like it for yourself, I'd say fix it up. You will probably not find one that clean (minus the damage) for $3500. The insurance already paid you out, so the repair costs are your only cost of ownership at this point. If you don't want it to keep, you may be better off selling it as is. Despite the damage with a clean straight body like that, I'd think you could easily get a few thousand for it.

As a Land Cruiser owner it would be kind of fun to own a Jeep, just so I could find out what getting stuck feels like. :grin:

Back