[Newbie] JET 1024P Restoration

ficklecycler

Registered
Registered
I'm posting to introduce myself and to share my new lathe as a project. I've been doing hobby machining for a few years but have had an interest in it for longer. I rent an apartment and have slowly built a reasonably well outfitted machine shop in a little 1 car garage that is woefully underpowered. Over the past few years I've gotten to a point where I've been able to use my machine shop in a professional sense for when clients want prototyping work. Through my own hobby and this client work I've progressed a bit, but have so so much to learn. I've worked my way up from a 7x10 to 7x14 to 8x16 to this newest acquisition and hopeful long-time ownership JET 1024P.

I thought it would be fun to do a better job at documenting the process of acquiring and refurbishing this lathe so I'm starting this thread.

I had been hounding Craigslist wanting to find a replacement for my MX210V 8x16 lathe and shelter in place was in full swing. I saw this older JET 1024P lathe pop up on CL with a price that sounded high. At the same time, the action on CL was slowing way down because of pandemic precautions. Just for kicks I started looking into the lathe and was impressed with just how densely built it is and how many features it has. The quality Taiwanese manufacturing was also an interest point because I've been so disappointed by the abysmal manufacturing of my previous lathe. This lathe was there day after day and I started wondering if anyone at all had gone to see it. Also, analyzing the pictures it looked like it was barely used, and looked dry and dirty. The description was extremely sparse but my interest was there. So sparing you more words, I went to go see it for myself after it had been up for 25+ days.

The lathe was in an old family owned jewelry manufacturing facility and this mother and son were getting rid of it. The guy told me his dad bought it brand new and maybe used it 5 times. They let me look through all the stuff and check out the lathe. It was totally complete, and covered in a ton of dust and some light surface rust. It included (I believe) every original accessory including the dinky little red toolbox that the spare parts came in. It had the change gears to switch between metric and standard, lathe jaws, various centers, a box of NOS Swedish HSS blanks, another box with tons of custom ground HSS tools, an Armstrong piston type QCTP, the original steady rest, and more. One of the best included bits was an uncut but threaded chuck backing plate blank. I've heard this lathe has a strange chuck mount threading so I take it that this is a pretty rare accessory to find new.

I tested it out and it all worked fine. I determined that this lathe was build like a little tank, had every bell and whistle I could want, and was absolutely the biggest piece of metal that could possibly (alright, barely) fit in my little 1-car garage. It needed a LOT of love and cleanup but it didn't have one dent or scratch on the ways, chuck, or the cross slide. No signs of abuse or wear. Loads of neglect, but that's different. I needed to try to get it! I did my best negotiating while strongly suspecting that I was the only person who had been by to check it out in a month. After some spirited back and forth, terms and conditions, they accepted my offer and I couldn't be more thrilled with the price we settled on. They also threw in a pretty sizeable amount of stock that Dad had purchased presumably for using on the lathe. I don't know exactly what I got but it's about 50+ lbs of new steel machining stock in various sizes!

Enlisting some coworker friends, we took a work truck with a liftgate over and nabbed the lathe, paid the kind folks, and drove it to my house. I'll include some shots of the condition that I acquired it in. I've started taking it apart, cleaning it, and getting it running smoothly, but that will come in the next installment.

Here it is in it's original habitat where it sat since the early 80's
20200505_122930.jpg

Rusty and grimey but not damaged.
20200505_122950.jpg

Work friends who are also great at rigging.
20200506_114756.jpg

This is my tiny garage where I'm going to shoehorn this thing. I'm still going to try to park a car in here. We'll see how that goes.
20200505_172712.jpg

I have a similar lathe sourced for me by Ulma Doctor and shipped to TX. You will love that little jewel, it is a very capable lathe.

It does not look like your lathe needs restoration, just it clean, run it, enjoy it.

Congratulations.

Here is mine now.
Resized_20180116_070008.jpeg

Last edited:
I think I've been watching the same lathe. It was priced high and seemed to sit and sit.

I think you will be happy with this one if it has no hidden issues. They had the same model in my auto shop class at the local college. I never got a chance to use it but gave it a good look over. Looked like a solid lathe and unlike many of the current lathes this size it has a full quick change gear box limiting the need for change gears. It sounds like you got a lot of tooling with it which is always nice.

Welcome to HM you will find many helpful people here.

I have a similar lathe sourced for me by Ulma Doctor and shipped to TX. You will love that little jewel, it is a very capable lathe.

It does not look like your lathe needs restoration, just it clean, run it, enjoy it.

Wow, it looks like you've put a lot of work into yours. Its true that mine doesn't need to be restored so much as cleaned but after getting it home, it's extremely dirty to the point where I've felt the need to take any sliding surface completely apart. I also want to de-rust everything and get it shiney. I won't be messing around with painting anything at this time. I can't really confirm what it is but the jewlery shop may have had a lot of polishing dust flying around. Or maybe its just the original grit from the factory. At any rate, there is a lot of it, so this JET is coming apart and getting cleaned.

Thank you all for the welcome! I've been using HM as a resource for some time but it feels good to jump in and participate.

I think I've been watching the same lathe. It was priced high and seemed to sit and sit.

I have no doubt you saw it because it was visible for so long! Happy to say that I didn't pay anywhere near the asking price. It was sort of the inverse of most good-deal stories so it proves that the late bird can still get the worm sometimes haha.

Welcome aboard @ficklecycler ,
nice score!
i'm more than familiar with the Asian import lathes.
if there are any questions, i'm sure i can point you in the right direction!
you'll have years of fun with the 1024 :grin:

Quick update, I've been taking the lathe apart to get everything clean and shiny. It looks like there is an enormous amount of grinding or polishing dust mixed in with ancient grease. In tearing it down, I noticed that there are hand scraped sliding surfaces. Feels pretty special compared to the tools I've owned prior to this! Also, most of the original info plaques still have their plastic on them.

To get the ways cleaned, I started with WD40 and just wiped till nothing else would come off. For some slightly more stubborn surface rust I used some scotchbrite and am being really careful to not leave any abrasive that could get trapped under the carriage.

Anyone know where to get 20W oil? Can something else be substituted? It seems to me that differential/gear oil would be good in this application but I don't know how critical the viscosity is.
20200506_124000.jpg
IMG_20200506_145755.jpg

I took the original 3 jaw chuck and refurbished it. It got a bath in evap-o-rust and then I used some scotchbrite sanding disks on my orbital sander. It came out looking stellar if I do say so myself. I put lithium grease in the chuck thinking it would stay put and there is a rooster tail of crease going up my wall/ceiling/shirts now. Also, don't worry the chuck key doesn't live here.
20200511_193105.jpg
20200512_214519.jpg20200512_222316.jpg20200512_222356.jpg

Continued: No idea what this is exactly but there were patches of orange-red crystals or fungi in between the lathe ways. I touched them and now I have alien super intelligence. Joking aside, what the heck is this?? 20200506_170119.jpg

Here's a shot of the scraping I meant to put in the last post...
IMG_20200506_192945.jpg

During testing at home, I blew the breaker a few times which was worrying. I looked into the power cord and noticed the terminals were very corroded and had signs of arcing on them. Then looked at the motor side and saw that the wires had melted through their housing. That's not gonna fly haha. I had some nice 12ga cable laying around so I treated it to a new power cable and connector. No more issues with blowing the breaker from the lathe alone. But I can't run anything besides lights while the lathe is going in my garage. I'm basically out of power.
20200508_120444.jpg

I got one of these ultrasonic cleaners. As I've mentioned before, my garage is tiny and I don't have a sink or even a nearby hose that I can use so this thing has been a godsend. It's fantastic for getting grit/oil/ grease off of parts and will heat the water to 80c which is hot enough to burn you. It's sort of like a hot tank that you'd get your cylinder heads cleaned in but small scale. It won't knock off the toughest grease without a little help but you can get parts extremely clean and it exposes me to a lot less solvents. It also helps me clean my gloves frequently so as not to transfer grit onto other parts I'm cleaning.
20200522_123858_HDR.jpg

I've also taken a lot of video, time lapses and stuff like that. If anyone is interested in seeing that definitely let me know. I'd also be interested to know of good video editing software for hobbyists like myself?

Finally, does anyone know where to locate a decent quality manual?

Looking good.

I have a similar 3J for my 1024. After I bumped adjusted it for minimum runout on a test bar as I torqued clamp bolt to the backplate, it is every bit as good as my standard Bison 3J. It is very repeatable as ling as I used my designated golden pinion, which I marked.

Back