Jet 1236 Ps

Needcoffee

Registered
Registered
I just purchased a jet 12236 PS. I have disassembled it to clean it. I'm looking for documentation on it. Specifically a parts breakdown and any other information.

In addition the crossfeed leadscrew has significant backlash and I would like to replace it and nut if it all possible. Does anyone have any information on what the thread is. Is it an ACME standard or metric?

I contacted Jet and they had a little to no information.

Regards,

Jeff

VZM.IMG_20160227_153359.jpg

Thank for the info. I was able to come up with one from steve from his " totally screwed machine shop" web site.

Thanks once again

Besides the bed length, mine being 24 inches C2C, my Federal lathe is the same as yours. I will be following this thread to see how you tackle the lead screw and nut replacement.

I pulled everything apart and cleaned it. I ended up splitting the crossfeed nut and installed 2 each 10-32 set screws. After adjusting these my crossfeed backlash is a few thou. Good enough.

I was playing around with a CCMT boring bar and a turning tool I purchased recently and was pleasantly surprised. I have only used HSS as of yet but had wanted to try carbide insert tooling for hogging off material and not having to use cutting fluid.

I stuck a scrap 7 inch piece of 2 inch diameter pipe in the chuck and set the feed and depth of cut for the tool radius.

What I got was a decent finish. In and out.

The suprise was when I measured the OD of the cylinder in half a dozen spots. The measurement ranged from 1.8183 to 1.8184. From 2 inch off the chuck face to 7 inches

This old lathe appears to be more acurate than I expected.

20180131_204123.jpg
20180131_135014.jpg

I have that same machine, with all the manuals. If you need something, infowise, let me know.

Jason

I pulled everything apart and cleaned it. I ended up splitting the crossfeed nut and installed 2 each 10-32 set screws. After adjusting these my crossfeed backlash is a few thou. Good enough.

I've read some accounts that the Grizzly G9249 shares some common parts with the Jet 1236P. Curious if you ever heard this or if anyone can confirm whether the crossfeed nut is interchangeable? Needing to correct some crossfeed backlash myself on a 77 1236P.

The G9249 manual lists the carriage lead screw as M15, Part # 425. If your lead screw measures the same you may be in luck? I do know the change gears are the same, as I order a set for my Jet 1024P, the baby brother to your lathe.
g9249 Carriage.jpgg9249 Parts list.jpg

Back