Jet 1236P cleanup?

SteelTwister

Registered
Registered
Hi all,
I am essentially a newbie to machining; I worked as a lathe operator in a shop many years ago, but mostly ran an Okuma CNC. I've been wanting to make "round things" for a while now and finally found a Jet 1236P that seems to be in pretty good shape. Got it home and out of the pickup using two tractors and alot of head scratching (a story for another time :distrust:).
Now I would like to clean it up and do whatever maintenance I should to get it in good working order and keep it that way, but I'm not even sure where to start.
Can you guys give me some suggestions or point me to a thread that would help?
I'll post some pics once I take some.
Thanks!

Those old Jet lathes were made in Taiwan, I think, and are solid lathes. I almost bought one once but the guy thought it was made of gold and priced it accordingly. How does the lathe run? Any obvious issues?

I would just start with a general clean up with an eye for spotting problems. Any odd noises, oil leaks, broken whatever. Check the ways for damage and excessive wear near the headstock. Lightly snug the carriage locking bolt on the right top side of the saddle with the saddle near the headstock and move the saddle toward the tailstock. If it gets significantly tighter as you move it then there is wear and you can take further steps to assess how much. Check run out of the spindle and if the spindle heats up after running at high speed for about 15-20 minutes; this will tell you what the rough condition of the bearings is. Be sure the electrical stuff is in good shape and that the gears are all intact, etc.

Once you have an idea of the overall condition of the lathe you can focus on things that need doing - lubing, adjusting, etc.

Welcome to HM, by the way!

SteelTwister Welcome!

If you need manuals, there are a number of them located in the Download's Section: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/categories/jet.636/

The Jet 1024/1236 Lathes were marketed under a number of names. I've found manuals from some other Branding's have more info than the Original Jet Manual. By combining information from all of them, I've been able to put together a more comprehensive manual for my little Jet 1024.

If you need parts Grizzly still sells parts for their 1237 variant. http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-x-37-Belt-Drive-Gap-Bed-Lathe/G9249. I was able to complete the gearing I needed for metric threads through Grizzly.

Best,

Chris

Here are some pics of my new baby. Sorry about the blurryness - trying to hold still while taking a pic and holding a shop light at the same time. I've powered it up and it sounds good and fairly quiet with just the spindle running. More gear noise with the power feed drive engaged, but no "bad" sounds (clunk, squeal, screech, etc). Both feeds work as does the threading feed. The quick change is a little sticky but works properly as far as I can tell. No back gears which seems weird. Also, no reversing switch - not sure if that is important.
I would like some advice on what I should disassemble to check and clean everything - if there is a best order for disassembly or stuff I just should not mess with. Also what is an appropriate cleaning fluid and subsequent lubricant for the various mechanisms. Any and All advice would be HUGELY appreciated!!
Thanks for looking.
IMG_20170205_070733.jpg
My new toy!!! I think it is a 1982 vintage machine. 1236P

IMG_20170205_070733.jpg IMG_20170205_070802.jpg
The headstock gears all look to be in good shape; no missing or worn looking teeth.
Missing the back gears though; not sure why anyone would remove those.

IMG_20170205_070938.jpg
All the gears here are in good shape too. Lots of grease and gunk though. From what I've read grease is not the proper lubricant here. Can someone suggest what I should use once I clean these up??
Also, not sure what the large outboard gear is for; doesn't seem to be another gear for it to engage with. Is something missing from the banjo??
IMG_20170205_071007.jpg
I think the ways look pretty good; what do you guys think? No obvious dings and the saddle moves pretty smooth for most of the travel; gets a little tighter near the last 8" by the tailstock.
Lead screw threads still look "square" with no dings.
IMG_20170205_071019.jpg
Ways near the headstock.
IMG_20170205_071036.jpg
The power feed selector (cross or linear) is kind of sticky, but both feeds work fine. Do I need to disassemble the saddle and cross slides to clean it up? Not sure where to start with that and don't want to end up finding out "oh crap, you should never have taken that apart:guilty:".
IMG_20170205_071050.jpg IMG_20170205_071104.jpg
Can anyone explain this chuck to me? No T-handle to tighten it, but it has this knurled outer ring with dog holes around the perimeter. There is a short bar that fits the dog holes and presumably is for tightening the chuck jaws. Can't figure out how to lock the spindle to turn the knurled collar or which direction it should turn and I don't want to damage anything. Need some advice here.
IMG_20170205_071113.jpg IMG_20170205_071139.jpg
The "tool"
IMG_20170205_071206.jpg IMG_20170205_071239.jpg
The "extra" drive gear. Anyone know what it's for or if there is another gear or two missing?
IMG_20170205_071306.jpg
No slow speed pulley. Missing both stepped pulleys - does anyone have a source for these or at least a size for the motor pulley and the intermediate shaft pulley?
IMG_20170205_071443.jpg
Cross slide ways and leadscrew. The cross moves pretty smooth through the entire travel. Look OK to you guys?
IMG_20170205_071456.jpg
Cross slide ways
IMG_20170205_071628.jpg
Compound ways. Those are old chips on the surface. Compound is pretty tight throughout it's travel. I think there is a jib screw near the crank. Does that just need a little adjustment to loosen it up a bit?

Those old Jet lathes were made in Taiwan, I think, and are solid lathes. I almost bought one once but the guy thought it was made of gold and priced it accordingly. How does the lathe run? Any obvious issues?

I would just start with a general clean up with an eye for spotting problems. Any odd noises, oil leaks, broken whatever. Check the ways for damage and excessive wear near the headstock. Lightly snug the carriage locking bolt on the right top side of the saddle with the saddle near the headstock and move the saddle toward the tailstock. If it gets significantly tighter as you move it then there is wear and you can take further steps to assess how much. Check run out of the spindle and if the spindle heats up after running at high speed for about 15-20 minutes; this will tell you what the rough condition of the bearings is. Be sure the electrical stuff is in good shape and that the gears are all intact, etc.

Once you have an idea of the overall condition of the lathe you can focus on things that need doing - lubing, adjusting, etc.

Welcome to HM, by the way!
Thanks Mike, I don't have an indicator or mag base yet - I guess those are the first tools I need to get. Gears all look good, at least the ones I can see without disassembling anything. No bad sounds when running or excessive vibration.
Not sure if I got a good deal or not; $1000 on craiglist, but that seemed to be the range for the older Atlas/Craftsman 1940-1950 vintage 10x24 lathes.
I'm excited to get this cleaned up and running well. Suggestions for cleaning fluid and lubricants would be appreciated.

SteelTwister Welcome!

If you need manuals, there are a number of them located in the Download's Section: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/categories/jet.636/

The Jet 1024/1236 Lathes were marketed under a number of names. I've found manuals from some other Branding's have more info than the Original Jet Manual. By combining information from all of them, I've been able to put together a more comprehensive manual for my little Jet 1024.

If you need parts Grizzly still sells parts for their 1237 variant. http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-x-37-Belt-Drive-Gap-Bed-Lathe/G9249. I was able to complete the gearing I needed for metric threads through Grizzly.

Best,

Chris
Thanks Chris! The manual link is a big help. I'm happy to find another Jet owner; I have not been able to find much on the internet so far about the 1980's vintage Jet's. Especially replacement parts. Do you know if the back gears and motor pulleys are available from Grizzly for this lathe? I'm missing the back gear and the stepped drive pulley for the intermediate shaft and the motor. No low speed option.
Really appreciate the advice as I'm grossly ignorant about getting the lathe into good operating order.
Thanks again,
Steve

Last edited:
Not bad from what I see, but I am no expert, One thing I see that you can replace, is the carriage lock, the hole that you see in the second and third photo from the end, is where the lock goes. and some of the parts are still available from grizzly. like the way wipers, One is still available but the other is not, but both were still listed on the sight.

The 120/127 large gear is for inch/metric feeds and threads. The manual will explain this. The lathe looks very good to my eye. As for the back gears, one of our members has just gone through a replacement of his using Grizzly parts. A search should pop that up for you. As for the motor and pulley, a future upgrade would be VFD and. 3 phase 2 hp motor.
Pierre

Not bad from what I see, but I am no expert, One thing I see that you can replace, is the carriage lock, the hole that you see in the second and third photo from the end, is where the lock goes. and some of the parts are still available from grizzly. like the way wipers, One is still available but the other is not, but both were still listed on the sight.
Ah, Thanks Ken. Mike suggested snugging the carriage lock to check the wear on the ways, but I couldn't find it - makes sense now!
Grizzly G9249 is the comparable model, right?
Kind regards, Steve

Back