[Newbie] Jet 1236py reversing switch

walz10

Registered
Registered
I’m new here and this is my first post. I apologize if it’s not in the appropriate place. I recently purchased a used jet 1236py. It appears to be in decent shape and the price wasn’t outrageous and it came with 3and 4 jaw chucks and a face plate. After getting it slid off the trailer I started cleaning it up and during a break I took a stroll though the manual that came with it. Reading there I seems the machine came with reverse. Apparently someone has changed the original forward/reverse switch to a regular on off switch. A friend of mine is an electrician and wired it up for me while doing some other wiring in my garage. It runs fine and I made a few cuts with it. I’d like to have reverse rotation of the spindle though. So I bought a drum switch. When I showed my friend the election the switch he looked at me like I had two heads. After doing some head scratching he said he needed to do some research and we’d get it figured out another day. So I decided to try to help out. I got in touch with an electric motor repair company and after sending them the wiring diagram that I had they said it wasn’t enough information for them to help me. So my question is does anyone have the internal switch diagram? Or could someone with a similar machine let me know what wires do what? Or what wires need to touch to run one direction or another? Any help is appreciated and thank you in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Need more info....is it 240v? Does it have a F/R lever on the pto shaft? How many terminals in the motor?

It’s currently wired and running on 220v. It has a lever to reverse the lead screw but nothing to reverse other than that. Hope that answers your questions. I’d include pictures but it won’t let me post them

Hi @ walz10 ,
this may help!
the wiring diagram is on the last page

Attachments

• Manual_Jet-Lathe-1024P(S)-&-1236P(S) (1).pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
Hi @ walz10 ,
this may help!
the wiring diagram is on the last page

Thank you for posting your manual. I have a manual for mine as well. The problem I’m having is the same in your manual. It doesn’t say or show what the switch does internally. I put a call in to jet as well but it seems that they don’t know anything more than I do. I was referred to a person that I had to leave a voicemail for at the end so hopefully they’ll call me back with some answers. The big difference I can see between your machine and min is yours originally had a drum switch and my switch is mounted on the left side cover. I really wish I could post some pictures. Some help there would be appreciated to lol. I have an IPhone if that makes a difference. It says that right down at the bottom of my posts doesn’t it. Hahahaha!

Hi Walz- you won't get much help from Jet- Post some pictures of the drum switch and the motor (closeups) and we can get you connected. The more data you can provide the better.
Can you transfer pictures to another computer and post them that way? Tapatalk seems to have problems I've heard
-Mark

I’ll do my best to get some pictures up ASAP. Thank you for the help

I’ll try to get more when I get home

Attachments

• C1BB815F-2544-4E04-BD21-6FD8A91B2DBE.jpeg
    C1BB815F-2544-4E04-BD21-6FD8A91B2DBE.jpeg
    20.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 3DC7F932-63E6-422E-B4E9-AD97487995D3.jpeg
    3DC7F932-63E6-422E-B4E9-AD97487995D3.jpeg
    23.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 12027431-9D98-4F87-A4A9-45F74149A835.jpeg
    12027431-9D98-4F87-A4A9-45F74149A835.jpeg
    32.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 5B6CCA3D-FCFF-4E3B-AC23-A56BDABEE584.jpeg
    5B6CCA3D-FCFF-4E3B-AC23-A56BDABEE584.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 26
  • C48A3692-D3A6-4BF7-888D-D840CB484360.jpeg
    C48A3692-D3A6-4BF7-888D-D840CB484360.jpeg
    23.8 KB · Views: 25
Good morning, Sir. And welcome aboard. From the tech manual shown, it appears the machine would have a 3 phase motor. ?Is that the case? Doesn't really matter, I will give the basics for both. Your electrician buddy should be able to make sense of them if you can't.

First, a small (<5 HP) 3 phase motor is simply a matter of swapping 2 of the T leads. It will not matter if it is wired high or low voltage. All that matters is if it is driven with a switch or contactor. Larger motors work the same but I doubt a residential electrical system would have a 500 HP motor to worry about.

For a single phase motor, it's a little more complicated. You must reverse the relationship of the start winding to the run winding to reverse the motor. The motor must be at or near zero speed for the switch to have any effect. It will have no effect at higher speed.

The reversing switch will be the snag in either case. There are several reversing switches, each with a different hook up. There will be 2 sets of contacts that reverse, or swap. And one set that is on in either direction. What wire goes where depends on the switch.

I have 50 odd years as an industrial electrician. Can't wire your house well, but I can make a motor sing "God Save The Queen" if needed. Might I suggest the web site,
for some information on motors. It's a deep subject, the article pointed to regards electro-magnetics and motors for small shops. Good reading, but it'll take a while. Make sure the coffee cup is full and warm.

EDIT: It seems from the photo (#2) that there is a single phase motor. Find which two leads are the start winding and swap them. The third set of contacts is for ON-OFF switching.

Last edited:
That makes the most sense of all the different stuff I’ve been told so far. The motor is single phase. I’ll get a picture of the switch for you

Back