[Newbie] Jet 1236py reversing switch

Here are the wiring diagrams from the manual that came with the lathe. Page 23 lists some hardware I don't have; i.e. operating and emergency shutoff switches, and coolant pump. Frankly, I don't understand what the differences are between pages 24 and 25. I do see that they are different in the "switch" portion but what switch(es) is it trying to represent? And which one goes with my hardware ... just Page 25? Sorry to be so thick.

Attachments

• 1236py wiring diagrams_20240318_0001.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
This is an unusual configuration- I don't see any transformer, contactors or relays. It seems the apron switch does control the motor directly.

I believe the answer to your question in post #38 is yes- it seems this is one model I've not seen before; it should work if the wiring is correct.
Apparently there is no start button, stop button or indicator lights

So it seems between page 24 and 25 they just used two different types of switches. Page 23 does not apply to your machine.
The only thing to trust then is the diagram on the switch itself (post #38)

From the motor Black, Yellow and White are U, V and 1. These three connect to the switch. The motor is already configured for 220v.
From the power cord Black and Red are the 220v power and White is the ground. If there is a plug on the cord I would verify those.

There is an unused wire from the switch to the motor- It's the Red wire marked #4 and probably comes from switch 2
Make sure the end of that wire is well insulated. That wire could be removed; it's only for 110v operation

So, unless the switch is broken (or missing!) I think it will run

Last edited:
markba633csi -
I had a knowledgeable friend stop by today and we spent some time checking the wiring after opening up the apron switch and have concluded that you nailed it, the lathe had already been converted to 220V. Also realized that the wiring diagram on page 24 likely for the 1024 model, whereas page 25 is for the 1236 model like I have. Will clip off that red wire too.

Next step is a trip to Homey D's for some wiring supplies to install a 220V circuit.

Thank you for your time and sage advice.
Regards;

Hi, if the motor is 1 HP or more it's best to run on 220v
The apron lever you mentioned is/was for reversing the motor, in conjuction with a contactor/control box which
may have been removed. The apron switches usually don't have the current rating to control the motor directly.

You might consider installing a stand-alone switch for forward/off/reverse and give up the apron lever feature for now.
If in the future you install a 3-phase motor/ VFD (variable frequency drive) you could recover the apron switch functions

This type of switch is low cost/ easy to install:
The older Jet 12-36 lathe had an apron switch with the rod going to it that was hooked to a drum switch that was screwed to the side of the tranny. No box on the back with magnetic switches.

Hopefully the switch will last a while- They probably used a beefier switch than the later models with the contactor box
But it may be a switch that was custom made- if it fails you may need to adapt one or wire in a drum switch separately
Let me know how it works out

Back