Jet 13x40 Ghl Half Nut Repair For Lead Screw

jmh8743

Active User
Registered
OK, my JET lathe has been out of service for more than a year. The housing holding the half nuts failed as I reported elsewhere. I purchased 4 sets from JET and they were all furnished unfinished. kinda like Lucy and the football from comic strip. order-not....... order-not. my recently acquired PM mill solved the problem.
I am 90% finished. Same olé same olé, if you buy Chinese you better be able to make parts. These may will work, 4140. Can't find my original thread.

later with installation. thanks to RayC and Tony for encouragement.

so now I found what caused the housings to fail, the cam slots were too short:

so now the vertical will be adjustable to fit the lead screw. I've been 4 yrs getting this machine usable. Parts poorly made will have an influence on the American market for these machines. New or used? With help originally I would have been better off with an old machine. But that's hindsight. More on this later.

I have been working for some time on this issue. As a novice, I elected to purchase a new machine in lieu of repairing an older machine. The JET 13x40 GHL surprised me. It came devoid of any tech support and the Q/C bordered on fraud. BUT, I have gained both knowledge and experience repairing my new lathe, in my 4th year. This is my present status update. The attached link describes my metrology methodology.

http://winchester52.blogspot.com/2017/01/this-is-why-jet-lathe-half-nut-housings.html

Back