JET 14500 Vertical Band Saw Gear Oil Sight Glass?

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hi,
I have been changing blades, adjusting and getting to know my new saw. So far so good.
I did call the retailer I purchased it from to complain.
The gear oil in the sight glass was over filled. All I could see was an amber fluid above the level and beyond.
I was told he would speak to the fellow that gets the equipment ready for delivery. I was informed they come from the factory pre-filled.
Now, no leaks mind you, the level is below the low line??
What the?
I am going to remedy this, I'll drain it, add new 80-90wt. gear oil and call it good.
Anyone else have a ghost in their saw?

Last edited:
Be careful not to use EP oil if the saw has a bronze worm gear, it will cause early failure.

It calls for Shell Spirax HD 90.
I have heard about the brass issue.
I have a quart of 80-90 Motorcraft gear oil. I will see if I can find out more about the two.
Thanks.

Shell Spirax HD oils are high performance multigrade extreme-pressure, multipurpose gear lubricants.They are suitable for heavy-duty truck and automotive differentials, manual transmissions and oil lubricated wheel bearings. ... They meet the requirements of API GL-5 and MIL-PRF-2105E ...
It must not have brass/bronze because the Shell product is a "Extreme Pressure" lubricant.
I have GL-5 Amsoil also.

It must not have brass/bronze because the Shell product is a "Extreme Pressure" lubricant.
Extreme pressure (EP) oils are usually the ones that will attack the yellow metals. Often you can smell the sulfur in the oil, and sulfur is the bad guy that eats the yellow metals.

I have never found a nice smelling gear oil. :)

Back