Jet 16 Ancillary Bits

Mauser lover

Registered
Registered
So... I have this old machine...

I purchased a dusty old (1980ish) Jet-16 Mill-Drill and it is missing some pieces. I'm hoping that someone here has one as well and can help me out.

Missing piece #1 (well, it might be missing): How do I lock the y-axis? There is an itty-bitty screw with a correspondingly small nut that looks like it could be to lock the y-axis, but I can't fathom that they would make that little thing that is so difficult to access lock the axis. And there is only one of them. Is that right? I don't want to go cranking on this screw without knowing what it is in case I mess something up. Obviously if it comes down to it, I will try it, but I figured that since it will probably be a week before I get to it, I might as well ask.

Missing piece #2: The pair of x-axis lock screws. Anyone have a source for these? They are just 5/16-18 screws (and I can get those), but I was hoping to find something with a handle on it, so I'm not always looking for a wrench to lock/unlock it. If you look at the Jet JMD-15 on their website you can see what I am talking about. So, here's the question: will these parts from the JMD-15 fit my four-decade old Jet-16? Same thread? Same length? Anyone know? If you have either of these two machines, is there a chance that you would pull out yours and measure length/bolt size?

Missing piece(s) #3: The pair of travel stops that go into the dovetail on the table for the x-axis. Will the JMD-15 stops also fit? Is anyone willing to post some good close-up pics and dimensions of these parts for either machine?

Missing piece #4: The actual stopper (the piece that hits the stops, don't know what else to call it. The one that bolts onto the base). Does anyone have a source for these? It's a different design than the new one. If nobody has a source, does anyone have a picture of this piece, and is anyone willing to pull theirs off and measure the thickness for me so I can attempt to duplicate?

Thanks for any and all help eveyone! I just got the z-axis working. I'm looking forward to getting this neglected little machine back up and running to it's full potential!

I've heard of a JMD-15 and JMD-18 but never a JMD-16 - you sure of the model number?

You can find all the parts you listed here.

Nowhere on my machine do I have "JMD-16". However, it does say "Jet-16". I'm assuming that "JMD" stands for "Jet Mill/Drill", but don't really know for sure. If it does, it would seem that my machine was made before they came up with that designation? There are others on this forum with this machine, there are even a few folks out there with decent modifications to them, but nobody seems to have brought up this question.

It's got a 4.014" (measured with calipers, so approximate) diameter column, a 9.5 (ish) inch by 23.625 (ish) inch table. I've checked the Rong Fu drill/mills, they don't seem to make one that matches my machine's dimensions, so I don't want to go ordering parts without really knowing if they fit. I'll be calling Jet tech support to see if they have any idea if nobody chimes in before I get around to it, so we'll see what they know!

Thanks for the link to the parts retailer! That's what I was needing for that part of my search!

According to this thread, it appear it is the same model as the RF-30.

Grizzly Industrial could also be a source for parts. https://www.grizzly.com/products/g0705/parts

The Jet-16 is not the same as an RF-30. The column on an RF-30 is 4.5" OD and the column base support has more mass so it is stiffer. The Jet-16 is probably an older Taiwanese machine. If you cannot download a manual from Jet, you can buy one here.

I'm pretty sure the parts from the JMD-18 will fit your mill. These Taiwanese mills have many common parts, especially threaded parts. Odd that they are essentially a metric machine but with Imperial fasteners.

Yep! Different, but similar. I was hoping that someone who had one would chime in with a "what's what" report.

Thanks for finding me a manual, but I already do have the manual. It's pretty typical of Asian machine manuals (meaning minimally helpful) of the '80s.

I guess I'll probably call up Jet tomorrow if I get a minute.

Back