Jet 9" lathe .

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I'm going to try and get this thing possibly . We'll see how it goes .

Last edited:
???? Really, why? Seems like something you wouldn't be interested in.

I made an offer on the whole basement last year . They wanted astronomical prices and haven't moved a thing . Tried to explain that it would take 4 days to move and load everything since they are in an enclosed basement with 2 flights of steps . Not much quality stuff but she is a friend of my brothers . Besides that , I'd do it because I can .

You sound like you are always in the right place with the working capital.

I had friend that way with exotic electronics. Crazy hi end stero, recording, live sound, rare microphones on and on. Insane deals for relatively cheap prices. I say relatively because to me it was a lot of $$ but to him it was no biggie and he knew all the people to turn them to and make bank.

I'm jealous.

Not actually . I'm in the wrong place at the right time . Plus , I'm the only one with a truck and trailer . I Love vintage stereo stuff , have a full Carver unit in the bedroom . $9000 stereo system and I own $5 ears . :grin: I now listen to the Dewalt battery charger radio .

So, it was an estate sale or something? Sounds like a LOT of work being in a basement and 4 days to haul it all off.

I have an old Hafler pre and amp with ESS speakers in the living room. Just always loved that combo for acoustic music. The thing I listen most to is my dad's old Pioneer receiver with tiny ESS speakers out in the shop. Take my iPad out there and stream Pandora. Bluegrass mostly, Tim O'Brien, Chris Thile, and Steeldrivers. Those three can cover a lot of different artists on Pandora.

Since we're totally off the rails, you mention your work uses a lot of 80/20. Do you work much with 10 series? I'm building something that has smaller units that I need to move around and change configurations and I'm wondering if you run into other fasteners than the t-nuts. For the 15 series they have those 1/4 turn style kinda like unistrut uses. And I see them on eBay but nothing like that for 10series :( but their online catalog sux so I was wondering if you'd bumped into something.

All Carver here , started off with Harmon Carden , then the high end JVC components , went to Carver in the 80s . Still have all of it , just can't bring myself to sell good memories . Always had the best Polks . Never heard a sweeter sounding system , and yes , older country and bluegrass are the favorites . :)

I love derailing , but yep , 80-20 is no problem . The majority of our lines are built with it and I consider them a step below junk . One hit with a forklift and alignment is lost . I have a lot in the garage that I tried to use to hang all my wrench sets which didn't work out so well , ran out of wall space . I'll put up a pic tomorrow but I'll investigate the 10 series .

No , it wasn't an estate sale , someone I know with zero money but many contacts drags me into this stuff . Like I need more junk and less time . I don't mind doing this type of cleaning out if it's worthwhile and I have the time . Trying to convince a widow that a 9" chinesium lathe is not worth 3 grand regardless of what someone told her . Or a fake Gestener isn't worth $800 . I don't mind paying up for quality pieces , but some don't know the difference .

Anyways , I'll post a pic of my wannaby wrench racks tomorrow . :grin:

Carver system in a 10 x 10 room . PM 1.5 , C4000 , CD and digital tuner , Polk 10s ( not seen ) and Polk sound delay speakers . The system used more energy than my shop . Get'er up to 500 watts and she would CRANK ! :grin: Days long gone .

Attachments

• IMG_0614.JPG
    IMG_0614.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 22
I re-inquired about this smaller stuff today and haven't checked for a response yet . If they do respond , I'll make them 2 offers . One for if they move it , and 2 for if I move it . We'll see what happens . As far as the 80-20 C-Bag , I checked my scrap bin and these are 1"x1" pieces and I have bigger but shorter pieces . If you can see them clearly I made wrench hangers from them , then decided just to throw the darn wrenches into a drawer with everything else . :grin: I'm not to the point yet where I'm that organized .

Attachments

• IMG_0636.JPG
    IMG_0636.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0637.JPG
    IMG_0637.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 18
Back