Jet JDP-15M, front/back table adjustment?

eeler1

Dang, buggered that up too!!
H-M Platinum Supporter
Finally pulled this driller out of storage and set it up in the shop. Easy to adjust tilt side-to-side, got that done. Then checked the table to spindle front to back, and the table is about 0050" high in the front (using a 4" base machinist square, so 0.050" over 4"). Be nice to align the table to the spindle, but can't find any way to do it, other than shim under the vise or workpiece. Any other tricks to get the table square and plumb to the spindle front to back?

I just shim the vise as there is no other simple adjustment available.

Hi Jon. Check to see if the head is loose on the column. If the head droops, the front of the table shows high, at least until you start pressing a drill into the work...

Thats funny Bob, kind of a "proof is in the pudding" thing that I totally spaced on. So, you are saying I should actually drill a hole and see how accurate it actually is? LOL. Classic "how to fix something when I don't really even know if I have a problem yet". I'll check the head though, just in case. If I have a problem, I'll shim, like Mikey says.

Getting started on the mill today, it's been in storage too, and moved several times, looks like lots of little fixes and adjustments will be necessary.

I have a Phase II X-Y positioning table, a Palmgren vise and a T-tracked table and fence all stacked on my drill press table and its been there for nearly 20 years. I actually shimmed the vise on top of the positioning table so my drill hits the work at 90 degrees. When not in use, the whole thing is supported by an adjustable support underneath the drill press table to take the weight. So far, this has worked well for me.

Hi Jon. Check to see if the head is loose on the column. If the head droops, the front of the table shows high, at least until you start pressing a drill into the work...
No Jon, I am not saying you should drill a hole to test it, I am saying you should check for a loose head when looking for the problem. A loose head would show the column end of the table high at rest, and would show the opposite under solid drilling pressure. Just something else to watch out for...

My drill press has a set screw below the bolt that tightens the table side to side. you loosen the bolt and turn the screw in or out to adjust the table front to back. kind of faddily but it works.

Interesting. Bob K was right on with the loose head idea, mine has 2 set screws, one was barely engaged, the other not at all. But tightening them up made alignment worse. There is a set screw under the side-to-side adjustment. I'll try that and report back here on if it makes any difference.

Tweinke nailed it, I loosened the side-to-side nut, played around with the set screw under it, and iterated to as good as I can get it by eye. No daylight visible using a square along a 5" piece of drill rod, in either direction. Success!!

Thanks all, glad to have it in trim. Now have to find a reason to drill some holes

Back