JET JTM-4VS-1 Knee Mill ~ Z-Axis Knee Powerfeed

Got a couple of emails this afternoon from Mary & JET Technical Support. She is arranging for the JET Distribution Center Brackets/Hardware to be sent to me.

All JET wanted was a receipt showing where I had bought the Powerfeeds from, my mailing address & phone contact info.

I am extremely pleased with JET's (and Mary's!) response. My only concern is that I'm doing this on a Friday afternoon. I've found that the most sincere customer service on a Friday afternoon often goes pear-shaped over the weekend and the process must be repeated early in the following week.

Hopefully the brackets/hardware will be shipped without further input by me.

Scott

Much nicer paint job on the new machines. Do you have any others that you could post? Did you do the x and y power feeds as well?

I would of replaced the lousy lock screws and made my own mounting hardware. I don't like the way they mounted it.
Here is what I would of used.

1526521616674.png

Much nicer paint job on the new machines. Do you have any others that you could post? Did you do the x and y power feeds as well?

My machine is a dark grey.

I don't have any other pictures of the Cream colored machine.

I do have the X-Axis & Y-Axis Power Feeds as well.

I have installed the X but not the Y. Once I get the Z-Axis squared away, I'll look into installing the Y.

Here's a video of my exercising the X-Axis unit.

Best regards,

Scott

Back on May 11th I shared my discussion with JET Technical Support regarding the bracket for the JET Mill's Z-Axis Powerfeed Limit Switch.

That was a Friday. That following Monday, being aware of what often happens to newly initiated work over a weekend, I sent a gentle reminder email to Mary, my Technical Support contact.

Mary copied me on an email to another JET employee where she asked him to let me know the status of the Limit Switch Bracket.

I received no further communication from JET last week.

This past Monday I followed up with another email to Mary. She again copied me on another email to the same guy as the previous week. A few minutes later I got an email from that gentleman asking for shipping address information. I immediately provided that information.

20180525-01.jpg

20180525-02.jpg

I've been gone the past few days so I was hoping to find a delivery when I returned last evening but no...

However, late this afternoon, UPS delivered a package containing the bracket hardware.

I fiddled with the hardware for a while trying to make it look like the pictures that I had been sent from JET Technical Support back on the 11th. The pictures were certainly helpful but were slightly out of focus which, coupled with the black on black of the parts, made it difficult for me see exactly what was going on.

The real problem was that I didn't immediately see the two threaded holes in the end of the rectangular part with the two slots. With that piece of the puzzle missing, I thought maybe a part was missing from the box.

Then I saw the holes. Hmmm... what size are they?

20180525-03.jpg

20180525-04.jpg

I went down to the basement of my house and rummaged around in one of my "smaller fasteners" 5x5 drawer organizers. A couple of 1/2-inch #10-24 screws were just what I needed for the bracket.

I went out to the shop and positioned the assembled bracket on the side of the JET Mill. It looked like it should do the trick!

I hope to make some progress on mounting the Z-Axis Limit Switch assembly this weekend.

I will be posting dimensions of the bracket parts in the near future.

Scott

Last edited:
When I put power feeds on the Jet JVM 836 and the 1940 round colum Bridgeport, I found the limit tracks to be very flimsy, so I attached them to a piece of aluminum angle, then bolted the angle to the milling machine, then made the limit switch brackets out of pieces of 1/4” steel plate, welded in the correct position, then bolted to the mills.27492E81-1E58-47EC-A21A-3D9DBBF1BA8E.jpeg44D968F2-F7D7-452E-B15D-115532D392BE.jpeg32A13B46-B660-4B48-A2E9-F0DF313E4528.jpeg

Back on May 11th I shared my discussion with JET Technical Support regarding the bracket for the JET Mill's Z-Axis Powerfeed Limit Switch.

That was a Friday. That following Monday, being aware of what often happens to newly initiated work over a weekend, I sent a gentle reminder email to Mary, my Technical Support contact.

Mary copied me on an email to another JET employee where she asked him to let me know the status of the Limit Switch Bracket.

I received no further communication from JET last week.

This past Monday I followed up with another email to Mary. She again copied me on another email to the same guy as the previous week. A few minutes later I got an email from that gentleman asking for shipping address information. I immediately provided that information.

View attachment 268259

View attachment 268260

I've been gone the past few days so I was hoping to find a delivery when I returned last evening but no...

However, late this afternoon, UPS delivered a package containing the bracket hardware.

I fiddled with the hardware for a while trying to make it look like the pictures that I had been sent from JET Technical Support back on the 11th. The pictures were certainly helpful but were slightly out of focus which, coupled with the black on black of the parts, made it difficult for me see exactly what was going on.

The real problem was that I didn't immediately see the two threaded holes in the end of the rectangular part with the two slots. With that piece of the puzzle missing, I thought maybe a part was missing from the box.

Then I saw the holes. Hmmm... what size are they?

View attachment 268261

View attachment 268262

I went down to the basement of my house and rummaged around in one of my "smaller fasteners" 5x5 drawer organizers. A couple of 1/2-inch #10-24 screws were just what I needed for the bracket.

I went out to the shop and positioned the assembled bracket on the side of the JET Mill. It looked like it should do the trick!

I hope to make some progress on mounting the Z-Axis Limit Switch assembly this weekend.

I will be posting dimensions of the bracket parts in the near future.

Scott

Interesting that they didn’t supply all of the bracket pieces when you bought it from them. Keep us posted.

When I put power feeds on the Jet JVM 836 and the 1940 round colum Bridgeport, I found the limit tracks to be very flimsy, so I attached them to a piece of aluminum angle, then bolted the angle to the milling machine, then made the limit switch brackets out of pieces of 1/4” steel plate, welded in the correct position, then bolted to the mills.

Buffalo21,

That was nice work. Thanks for sharing!

Best regards,

Scott

Interesting that they didn’t supply all of the bracket pieces when you bought it from them. Keep us posted.

PT Doc,

I'm pretty sure the JET Powerfeeds are made by a Taiwanese company. I saw a YouTube video of an unboxing of this company's product and the boxes and packing were identical to the JET packaging.

I suspect this is much like a job my son had a few summers ago. He was working in a warehouse for a company that sold Air Conditioning Units for Semi Trucks. One time he told me about taking boxes of a product from China and putting the local company's label onto the box so that it covered the Chinese label. Then those boxes were shipped out to customers. My son and I referred to that process as "Value Adding".

I think JET employs the "Value Adding" process to their Powerfeed boxes. Ha!

To be fair, probably not that many people purchase the JET Powerfeed for a JET Mill. It could be for any Milling Machine. To add the JET-specific brackets wouldn't probably be that attractive to most customers.

Best regards,

Scott

I have a Jet JVM 836, I wanted a knee power feed, Jet did not offer one, but Wilton had at that time a mill, identical to the Jet, that had a knee power feed. So I called HWM and asked if it would fit the Jet, they said, yep bolts right on, so I ordered it. Welp, it did not bolt right on, so I again called HWM, I told them the issues, their comment was classic, “ you own machine tools, make it fit”, then I heard a click as the line went dead. So I made it fit. None of the Jet power feeds I bought X, Y and Z, came with mounting brackets, just a basic kit, so I bought the next set for the Bridgeport from ENCO.

Back