JET JTM-4VS Milling Machine Leaking Oil from Quill Lock

Scott(GA)

Registered
Registered
I recently purchased a JET JTM-4VS Milling Machine (new). I added oil to the Spindle Bearing Oil Cup (Upper White Arrow) per the operating manual. Shortly after doing so, oil was dripping from the Quill Lock (Lower White Arrow) at a pretty good clip.

20180227-01.jpg

It is my impression that this machine is pretty much a Bridgeport clone... is this normal behavior? I'm new to this sort of machine and was wanting folks with experience to weigh in before I call the folks at JET Technical Support.

Scott

Last edited:
Yup, that's normal. There are no seals (nor should there be) between the oil cup and the quill lock. The oil just runs down the outside of the quill and comes out anywhere it can.

Like a British car, or a Harley, it is "controlled seepage" perhaps you are over oiling.

Like a British car, or a Harley, it is "controlled seepage" perhaps you are over oiling.

This is certainly possible...

There was nothing in the manual to indicate the amount to put into the oil cup. How much should one put in?

Best regards,

Scott

Keep puttin it in till it comes out in other places.......that way you know it must be all through the system.
I just gave my Bridgeport a "booster" shot. The one shot oiler seemed to be a little dirty and was not getting any oil to the extremities. I unhooked the main line and attached it to a mini- grease gun that I filled with way oil and pumped it till it bled all over. Might be messy for awhile, but now I know it's not dry.

That oil cap I give a couple of squirts every time I use the machine, and if it's a long day I'll give it a couple more squirts half way through or so. Drilling a lot of holes it gets a little more. I hate a dry stiff quill.

Back