Jet Lathe/Mill info and advice?

Slayer_MN1

Registered
Registered
Hey all, I'm looking at buying out an entire gunsmithing/machine shop. The current owner bought the two of these machines new in 1999 when he retired from a 28 year long career as a tool maker. He is selling because he has been diagnosed with terminal cancer and isn't able to make use of it anymore, everything has been kept very clean and meticulously maintained. These 15 year old machines look like they are a year old.

The lathe is a Jet BDB-1340, and the mill is a Jet JTM-2 with power feed and Newall DRO. both machines are Taiwanese and as I said, they are CLEAN. Any of you have experience with these models? Good/Bad? These both come with a metric **** ton of tool holders/ collets and carbide tooling etc. I'm very green in the art of machining but have a veteran machinist willing to offer up his knowledge to get me started.

Also anyone who knows what fair market value is on the two of these machines I'd appreciate that as well.

Thanks for any and all advice/info

Steve

Steve
We have a jet 1340 at work and I really like it. It's good and sturdy and will take a healthy cut.

Master of unfinished projects

Jet is good stuff, Taiwanese is even better.
Value varies by location, but I bet MN isn't awash in machine tools like some of the midwest and northeastern states. Here in Texas, a good deal on a pair like that, with basic tooling, would be $5000, or $2500 apiece. They could easily bring more.

Yes it is. Yeah this reply is a bit late haha. It needs a new belt and I have NO desire to tear it all down to change it. I'm planning a sectional belt as replacement.
Cool, is the one at your work a belt drive?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back