Jet Lathe Opinion

MonkMan

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm looking for my first lathe and the Jet line looks pretty good. I have not seen much about their "elite" line posted on the forums and I'm wondering if these are worth the premium price? I'll either get the 12X36 or 13X40. Any advice would be most welcome.
Thanks So Much

Merry Xmas Monk,
I opted for the Precision Mathews 16X40 LB-E. I'm glad I did as a lot of folks here have purchased PM lathes and mills from Matt who owns www.machinetoolonline.com
The machines are well built and Matt is an super guy, His customer service has been great for me. check out the PM threads.

Bob C
Dayton NV.

Thanks Bob, hope you had a great holiday.
I looked at the Matt's PM offerings and they also look good. I just want to find all the information I can before pulling that trigger.

Paul S
Monkton, MD

:+1: On Matt at QMT! I would not look at any other company based solely on his customer service. He also specs his machines to reduce as much of the typical Asian shortcomings as possible.

MonkMan. How can you identify an "Elite" Jet machine? Did not know Jet had a premium option.

Did a little Google search and now I know how to spot a Jet Elite machine; Jet logo and black paint. If I won the Lottery I would certainly build a better shop and equip it with top of the line equipment. Until then I will just have to be content with my recently acquired and new to me Jet GH-1340W-3.

Thanks Bib,
Yes the Elite line comes in very well equipped but at about half again as much price as the "white" lineup. The only difference I see is where they are built. How new is your 1340? Did you have any issues?

Thanks, Paul

I have not received it yet. Purchased and paid for and awaiting a truck coming my way. Coming from a trusted source. It is used but not much. I'm not all that happy with my old Colchester Student so I have been looking. Friend has a smaller Jet that he acquired several years ago and just put into service. I've used it several times and was impressed so when this one came along I grabbed it. Jet Lathe 1.jpg Jet Lathe 2.jpg Jet Lathe 3.jpg Jet Lathe 4.jpg

Sweet. I like the look of this lathe. That Acu-Rite DRO is the one I want on whatever lathe I order.
Please let me know when you get it setup.
Thanks for the photos.

Paul S.

Back