• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Jet Lathe Opinion

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

MonkMan

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I'm looking for my first lathe and the Jet line looks pretty good. I have not seen much about their "elite" line posted on the forums and I'm wondering if these are worth the premium price? I'll either get the 12X36 or 13X40. Any advice would be most welcome.
Thanks So Much

rc63

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Merry Xmas Monk,
I opted for the Precision Mathews 16X40 LB-E. I'm glad I did as a lot of folks here have purchased PM lathes and mills from Matt who owns www.machinetoolonline.com
The machines are well built and Matt is an super guy, His customer service has been great for me. check out the PM threads.

Bob C
Dayton NV.

MonkMan

Thanks Bob, hope you had a great holiday.
I looked at the Matt's PM offerings and they also look good. I just want to find all the information I can before pulling that trigger.

Paul S
Monkton, MD

brav65

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
:+1: On Matt at QMT! I would not look at any other company based solely on his customer service. He also specs his machines to reduce as much of the typical Asian shortcomings as possible.

Bib Overalls

Swarf
Registered
MonkMan. How can you identify an "Elite" Jet machine? Did not know Jet had a premium option.

Bib Overalls

Swarf
Registered
Did a little Google search and now I know how to spot a Jet Elite machine; Jet logo and black paint. If I won the Lottery I would certainly build a better shop and equip it with top of the line equipment. Until then I will just have to be content with my recently acquired and new to me Jet GH-1340W-3.

MonkMan

Thanks Bib,
Yes the Elite line comes in very well equipped but at about half again as much price as the "white" lineup. The only difference I see is where they are built. How new is your 1340? Did you have any issues?

Thanks, Paul

Bib Overalls

Swarf
Registered
I have not received it yet. Purchased and paid for and awaiting a truck coming my way. Coming from a trusted source. It is used but not much. I'm not all that happy with my old Colchester Student so I have been looking. Friend has a smaller Jet that he acquired several years ago and just put into service. I've used it several times and was impressed so when this one came along I grabbed it. Jet Lathe 1.jpg Jet Lathe 2.jpg Jet Lathe 3.jpg Jet Lathe 4.jpg

MonkMan

Sweet. I like the look of this lathe. That Acu-Rite DRO is the one I want on whatever lathe I order.
Please let me know when you get it setup.
Thanks for the photos.

Paul S.

[6]
[5] [7]