Jet mill lubrication question

Technical Ted

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Long story, but I ended up buying a Jet mill JVM-836-1 that was originally purchases in 1999. According to the tag on the machine and the current manual I downloaded you are suppose to lubricate the knee lead screw with Mobilith AW2 grease once a week. There is no grease fitting on the nut or anywhere else.

What do you guys who own one of these do? Do you use grease and just smear it on the lead screw or do you use an oil? All the other screws are lubed by the one-shot oiler with Vactra #2.

Thanks,
Ted

Hi Ted,

I have a Jet JVM-830 which I'm guessing is a similar mill (photo below). I use thick lithium grease on the nut and screw.

Bruce

mill.jpg

Hi Ted,

I have a Jet JVM-830 which I'm guessing is a similar mill (photo below). I use thick lithium grease on the nut and screw.

Bruce

Thanks for the reply. Does yours have a zert (grease fitting)?

Thanks,
Ted

20171212_155552.jpg

Hi Ted,

No, mine does not. But your Jet is in a different class than mine.

Bruce

I have had a Jet JTM-1 since new in 2003, I grease the knee screw once every few years with a shot of what ever is currently in grease gun, works great, its not a critical application in my view. If machine was running 3 shifts a day 7 days a week I might grease it once every few weeks but in a hobby shop once every year or three ought to be fine. My German Shepard liked to lay by the motor of lathe where it was warm, good looking dog in photo.

Last edited:
Mine is a 1995 model and the One Shot lube was hooked up to the knee nut to oil it. The system drains down and over time all the oil ends up in the nut so I disconnected it.

Not exactly an answer to what you were asking but perhaps some additional useful information.

I recently purchased a JET JTM-4VS-1 Vertical Mill. Like the OP, some obsolete lubricants were specified in the Operator's Manual.

It took a while to locate the correct web page with contact information but back in December I called Mobil Industrial Lubricant's Talk To An Expert phone number (800-662-4525).

As one would expect, there was a phone tree and I don't recall exactly which choices I made. I do remember that I got lucky and got the correct person on my first attempt.

I requested information on the greases first. The lady on the phone indicated that Mobilith AW1 & AW2 were no longer in production. The correct replacements are:

Mobilith AW1 --- Mobilgrease XHP221

Mobilith AW2 --- Mobilgrease XHP222

I hope this helps even though it has been a while since the original post.

Best regards,

Scott

Last edited:
Not exactly an answer to what you were asking but perhaps some additional useful information.

I recently purchased a JET JTM-4VS-1 Vertical Mill. Like the OP, some obsolete lubricants were specified in the Operator's Manual.

It took a while to locate the correct web page with contact information but back in December I called Mobil Industrial Lubricant's Talk To An Expert phone number (800-662-4525).

As one would expect, there was a phone tree and I don't recall exactly which choices I made. I do remember that I got lucky and got the correct person on my first attempt.

I requested information on the greases first. The lady on the phone indicated that Mobilith AW1 & AW2 were no longer in production. The correct replacements are:

Mobilith AW1 --- Mobilgrease XHP221

Mobilith AW2 --- Mobilgrease HXP222

I hope this helps even though it has been a while since the original post.

Best regards,

Scott

Where you able to find these greases?

PT Doc,

First... I see I have a typo in the replacement for Mobilith AW2. It should read XHP222 not HXP222

I edited my original post to fix this error.

Sources:

I got a tube of the XHP222 from Zoro.com - purchased it with some other items and a coupon of some sort.

The XHP221 was tough to find in a tube. I think it is more readily available in larger quantities.

I coughed up the amount of $15 (item plus shipping) at CNC Specialty Store just to have the proper item. They do list both of these greases in tube form in stock as of today.

Best regards,

Scott

Back