Jet vertical mill

R.W. Parker

Registered
Registered
Greetings all,

I have a Jet JVM-728, it's a ram-turret vertical knee mill that also has a horizontal spindle. Decent machine, but the bearings in its vertical spindle are getting long in the tooth. I want to minimize down time as much as possible, so I'd like to have the correct replacement bearings on hand before I tear down the head. I'd appreciate hearing from any other JVM-728 owners who've replaced these.

Thanks!

Richie

Hi Richie,
welcome aboard
i don't have the Jet 728, but i have a VHM726- they should be very similar
the 3 spindle bearings were 6008 bearings in my unit, yours may be the same.

Hi Ulma,

Thanks for the welcome, as well as the information. I take it that you've had the head apart on your machine, is there anything out-of-the ordinary that might rear its ugly head? I've searched for an exploded diagram, but can't find one anywhere.

Best regards,

Richie

Hi Ulma,

Thanks for the welcome, as well as the information. I take it that you've had the head apart on your machine, is there anything out-of-the ordinary that might rear its ugly head? I've searched for an exploded diagram, but can't find one anywhere.

Best regards,

Richie
Hi Richie,
i got to go far away for work today. i'll scan and share a copy of what i have
the spindle comes out pretty easy

Wow, that'd be GREAT! I really appreciate it, thanks.
I apologize, Richie
i had a 14 hour day today. i'm gonna need another day to scan and share the manual i have
sit tight, i'll get back at you tomorrow

i apologize in advance for the electrical ladder diagram.
it was cut off at the bottom on the copy i have :confused:

VHM728 Manual Cover.jpgVHM728 Manual P1.jpgVHM728 Manual P2.jpgVHM728 Manual P3.jpgVHM728 Manual P4.jpgVHM728 Manual P5.jpgVHM728 Manual P6.jpgVHM728 Manual P7.jpg

Last edited:
Doc, that's my machine EXACTLY! I've been looking for those diagrams for YEARS, with no luck. How unbelievably kind of you to send those, I simply can't thank you enough! You're a prince, buddy.

God bless!

Richie

Oh, and one other thing, if you don't mind. When I order those 6008 spindle bearings, is there any special prefix or suffix that I should include? Seems there are a few different 6008's, and some are a lot more expensive than others. I just want to be sure that I order the proper bearings.

Thanks again!

Richie

Hi Richie,
6008 C3 or C2 should be sufficient
6008-2RS/C3
Or
6008-2RS/C2

the -2RS designation is 2 neoprene seals, lifetime lubricated

C3/C2 is the clearance
C3 is a little looser than C2

Last edited:
Back