Jet vertical mill

Thanks again Doc, you've been a lifesaver!

I'll order the bearings today. Might take me awhile until I find time to pull that head apart, but I'll report back when I have news...

All the best!

Richie

I ordered the three bottom bearings (SKF 6008 2RS C3) from an outfit called "locateballbearings.com" But at the risk of sounding like Peter Faulk on the old "Colombo" detective series, "There's one other thing..."

You see, I haven't been inside of a milling machine head since I was an apprentice some 40 years ago. When I looked at that sectional view you so kindly sent, I remembered that there's a bearing at the top of the spindle too -- duh! The callout for that one is #507.

To do a proper job, I should probably replace that one too Doc. Would you happen to know what it is, or should I just measure the old one after I've pressed it off the spindle?

Thanks!

Richie

I ordered the three bottom bearings (SKF 6008 2RS C3) from an outfit called "locateballbearings.com" But at the risk of sounding like Peter Faulk on the old "Colombo" detective series, "There's one other thing..."

You see, I haven't been inside of a milling machine head since I was an apprentice some 40 years ago. When I looked at that sectional view you so kindly sent, I remembered that there's a bearing at the top of the spindle too -- duh! The callout for that one is #507.

To do a proper job, I should probably replace that one too Doc. Would you happen to know what it is, or should I just measure the old one after I've pressed it off the spindle?

Thanks!

Richie
Hi Richie,
I’ll check and see if i have that written down. I can’t recall the upper bearing number off the top of my head.
Sit tight

i gave a search around the shop, i don't have the top bearing documented, sorry Ritchie
if you get your's apart, i'd love to get the dimensions
i can translate them to bearing #'s
IDxODxWidth in mm
(inches ok if you don't have metric measuring devices)

<i gave a search around the shop, i don't have the top bearing documented, sorry Ritchie
if you get your's apart, i'd love to get the dimensions
i can translate them to bearing #'s
IDxODxWidth in mm
(inches ok if you don't have metric measuring devices)>

That's okay Doc, thanks for checking. It would've been nice to have the top bearing here and ready to go, but it isn't a big deal. When I get the old one off the shaft, I'll post some measurements. (All my instruments are inch, but that's okay -- I know how to multiply by 25.4!)

Like I said earlier, it might take me awhile until I'm able to pull this head apart. Presently, I have my thumbs stuck in a lot of pies!

I'll report here when I have the information, so please check this thread from time to time.

Thanks for everything buddy, you've been a HUGE help!

Richie

I would expect any good industrial Bearing house would have those bearing in stock. If I were you I would wait until you have it apart before ordering them. Ifby chance they are wrong most places have a 20% re-stocking charge. You will need to buy some good grease too if you don't go with the sealed bearings. I recommend Mobil Grease 28 or 32. It is what I pack my spindle bearings with. It's red and it says aviation grease on the Mobil web site. I buy 1 pound cans. Only pack the bearings 1/3 full otherwise the bearing get to hot. Ulma has some good advice, but if it's a different model number it could be different bearings. Rich

Has anyone ever dealt with "locateballbearings-dot-com"? Five days now, and still no bearings.

I'm wondering if they're the kind of outfit that takes your money up front, and then shops around in their leisure time for the lowest possible price on the bearings you need.

I've gotta find their number and give them a call, and see what the heck is going on!

I would expect any good industrial Bearing house would have those bearing in stock. If I were you I would wait until you have it apart before ordering them. Ifby chance they are wrong most places have a 20% re-stocking charge. You will need to buy some good grease too if you don't go with the sealed bearings. I recommend Mobil Grease 28 or 32. It is what I pack my spindle bearings with. It's red and it says aviation grease on the Mobil web site. I buy 1 pound cans. Only pack the bearings 1/3 full otherwise the bearing get to hot. Ulma has some good advice, but if it's a different model number it could be different bearings. Rich
Thanks for chiming in Rich, there's no such thing as too much information. I'm confident that Ulma Doc's recommendation is sound, as his machine seems to be identical to mine. The bearings are the 2RS type, so I won't need to pack them.

What I face now, unfortunately, is having to track down the whereabouts of the bearings that I paid for. By God's grace I'll eventually get to the bottom of that dilemma, and the bearings will be the right ones. If they aren't, I suppose I'll have something else to deal with.

One of the pitfalls of moving out to the sticks is the lack of nearby sources for industrial products. Nearly everything has to be purchased from afar.

Back