Jet vertical mill

Understood Doc, thank you! Much of what I've read likely pertained to tapered roller bearings, but the distinction wasn't made clear. I'll just bring the nuts up nice and easy to remove any axial play. The bearings were ordered today, and should be here this time next week at the latest.

Tomorrow I've gotta see a man about a spring, as the quill return spring in that head was broken. For twenty years, my wife ran the night shift at John Evans Sons in Lansdale, they're America's oldest springmaker. I talked to their head honcho today, and he agreed to wind a new one for me. The wire is 5/32, so that spring would be VERY difficult to wind in either of my South Bend lathes (9 and 10-inch)!

In the meantime, I've been keeping myself busy in the parts washer. I'll report in when I have more news...

Richie
if you need pictures or the unbroken spring itself, let me know
OR
i can tear the spring out of mine and send it back to you, just send it back when you have yours made :grin:
it's good to have friends in high (and low :beer:) places- lotsa things get done for having both types of friends

let me know if i can assist in any other way.
all the best

Hi Doc,

I got the spindle bearings from MSC today, they're SKF "Explorer". I received three 6007 2RS JEM for the spindle nose, and one 6006 2RS JEM to replace the top bearing.

When I took these new bearings from the box and removed the cellophane envelope, I immediately noticed a BIG difference from the old bearings. The old bearings would spin freely. In fact, I probably could have spun the inner race on the old bearings just by hitting them with the air hose!

The brand new bearings, on the other hand, did NOT spin freely like that. Their inner races moved smoothly but, compared to the old bearings, there was definite resistance. To give you some idea, they were like filling the old bearings with 40W oil and leaving them out in the cold for a few hours.

I remembered how you said that when I mounted the new bearings on the spindle, the spindle should
"spin with little or no drag". I said to myself "With the resistance I'm feeling on each of these individual bearings, there's NO WAY that I won't feel drag on that spindle when it has these four new bearings mounted on it!"

So I pressed the three 6007 bearings onto the spindle nose, one at a time of course. They went on nice and smooth. Then I ran the retention nut up by hand, until I just felt it touch the bearing stack. I took a height measurement, and the bearing stack with the nut was tall by .010 inch. I adjusted the nut slightly downward until the height was the same as the original bearing stack. That hardly took any effort, I probably could've torqued that nut by hand. Then I tightened the set screw in the nut, and checked the height measurement again. It was perfect. I spun the bearings by hand, and felt the same amount of resistance that I felt when I unwrapped them.

Next, I gently pressed the spindle with its mounted stack of bearings into the quill. They went in smooth, and I could feel when the bearing stack stopped on the shoulder of the bore. I spun the nose cap onto the quill, and it would've needed to go about another 3/8-inch on its threaded circumference for its locking set screw to line up with the original mark left on the threads. If the cap had indexed PAST that mark, I would've known that my bearing stack was pressed together tighter than it was originally. But since it was slightly above that witness, I was sure that the bearings had adequate clearance.

Finally I installed the new top bearing. This one presses onto the spindle and into its quill bore simultaneously. It also went in smooth, and I stopped when I felt it touch the shoulder of its bore in the quill. I then installed the threaded cap over the top bearing, which holds that bearing captive in the quill. It only took a bit of light torque on the spanner to set the depth of that cap to the original measurement.

There is absolutely NO slop in that spindle now, Doc. However, its motion is like I figured it would be. When you grab the drawbar end of the spindle and turn it, there's resistance. It doesn't feel like there's anything wrong, and there certainly isn't any noise like crunching or grinding. The spindle turns smoothly, but it feels a lot stiffer than it did with the old bearings. For example, it's not like my bench grinder where I can give the wheel a push with my finger, and it'll spin several revolutions before it glides to a stop. This one only turns when you turn it, it doesn't free-spin.

Anyway, I mounted the quill horizontally in my bench vise, installed the drawbar, and mounted a 3/8" dowel pin in a collet. I then chucked my drill motor on the dowel, and spun the spindle using the drill motor's highest speed. I did this for five minutes by my wristwatch. When I stopped, the spindle nose was slightly warm to the touch, right up near the end bearing. I couldn't feel any heat through the quill at either end, just a little warmth at that end bearing.

I still need to get that new quill return spring before I can reassemble the head. The guy who is winding it went in for a COVID "vaccine" right after I brought him the broken spring and a sketch, so hopefully he didn't drop dead on me :). But I'm also hoping that I've adequately described my observations on this spindle, and that it's functioning like it's supposed to. It's difficult to describe how a spindle "feels". This one now feels really good as far as any slop or play is concerned, because there is NONE. But on the other hand, it doesn't free-spin like it did when the old bearings were on it, or like the spindle in my bench grinder. But because I really took my time and did everything properly, I can't see where I might have made a mistake.

I'm anxious to hear what you think!

Thanks,

Richie

if you need pictures or the unbroken spring itself, let me know
OR
i can tear the spring out of mine and send it back to you, just send it back when you have yours made :grin:
it's good to have friends in high (and low :beer:) places- lotsa things get done for having both types of friends

let me know if i can assist in any other way.
all the best
Wow Doc, you must've sent this while I was "hunt-'n-peck" typing today's events! Either that, or I didn't see it previously (I'm still trying to figure out how this forum works).

Anyway, I should be okay on the spring, provided the guy who's winding it didn't do a Hank Aaron or Marvin Hagler after the COVID shot. But it was incredibly kind of you to offer me your spring on loan -- thank you!

I'll wait to hear your thoughts on my rebuilt spindle, hopefully I got it right.

All the best,

Richie

It sounds like you did this well!
The resistance you are feeling is the grease and the increased sealing of the new bearing.
Open bearings or single dust shield (Z) will have low rolling resistance in the absence of grease, these factors in addition to wear clearance in the old bearings would explain the differences in felt resistance between a new double sealed and a dust shielded/open combination bearing

It sounds like you did this well!
The resistance you are feeling is the grease and the increased sealing of the new bearing.
Open bearings or single dust shield (Z) will have low rolling resistance in the absence of grease, these factors in addition to wear clearance in the old bearings would explain the differences in felt resistance between a new double sealed and a dust shielded/open combination bearing
Hooray! Doc, I can't begin to tell you how happy this makes me!

Not that I was seeking validation, of course. After all, I'm the student here. If you had pointed out where I'd made a mistake, I still would've been happy.

Part of me suspected that lubrication had something to do with the resistance, as it's still been pretty cold in the shop overnight. But I never considered the other factors you mentioned. It all makes perfect sense.

Hopefully Jesus will send that new spring soon, and I'll be able to button this job up. The rebuilt spindle, combined with removing all of the gunk and mouse debris from that head, ought to make a WORLD of difference.

Thanks again, buddy. I'll let you know how things progress from here.

Richie

I’m happy that everything worked out!
Good job!
Every completed job is like a feather in your headdress
Soon the headdress will be full of feathers!

I’m happy that everything worked out!
Good job!
Every completed job is like a feather in your headdress
Soon the headdress will be full of feathers!
Thanks, Doc. This afternoon I put everything back together, sans downfeed of course. Which is only five minutes work, once I have that spring in hand. It's just that cross shaft, and the fine-feed clutch and the quill lever.

But today I was at least able to hold the quill in the head using the quill lock, so I put power to the spindle. It runs like a dream. I believe this head should now produce finishes every bit as fine as a good 2-J.

In fact, I always thought this was a better machine than any of the small Asian mills I've seen. The horizontal spindle has come in handy a few times, but it's a really nice little vertical mill. The screws are great, and repeat very accurately over their entire range. In fact, the machine is so accurate that I hung an Acu-Rite DRO on it about ten years ago when MSC was running a close-out sale.

The machine's only fault was perpendicularity of the head, because it doesn't pivot over the Y-axis like a Bridgeport. Thus, it was out-of-tram over the Y by a few thousandths. However, that was easy to solve with a proper shim between the base casting and the back of the turret. After tightening the turret nuts, the head trammed in closer than any of my indicators could resolve!

For a long time I hoped to get my hands on a decent Bridgeport or Alliant, but the money was never there. One day my old boss, an engineer from a toolroom I worked in back in '98, stopped by my shop and asked if I wanted a mill. I certainly wasn't going to say no to a free milling machine, so I gathered together a few friends and we went to pick it up. It had been sitting in a leaky barn for a long time, and was in pretty sad shape. The table was remarkably good though and, once I stripped the machine down and cleaned everything up, I was really surprised by how close it would work. It was FAR better than those whipped WWII-vintage machines that I used as an apprentice. The screws were so bad in some of those that you had to hang a mag base and indicator on every axis. You couldn't trust the dials at all!

After awhile one of the magnetic contactors went bad in this machine, and I called Jet to see if they had a replacement. They didn't, because Jet hadn't imported that model for a long time. But the guy I spoke with must've worked at Jet for quite awhile, because he remembered my mill. "You've got a good machine" he said. "In fact, your machine is a LOT better than any of the smaller mills that we sell nowadays!"

I managed to find new contactors from another source, and they were made in the U.S.. So I replaced them all, and never had any more trouble with the electrics.

Doc, your help was invaluable on this job, and I'd really like to do something to show my appreciation. Let me send you these three SKF 6008 bearings that I ordered by mistake. I'll never have any use for them, and I'm not going to send them back. The company I got them from was a pain-in-the-butt to deal with, and they'll nail me with a restocking fee. One of the bearings they won't even accept, because I opened the end flap on the carton (the cellophane bag is still sealed, though).

It's the very least I could do, and I'd hate to see them go to waste. Just let me know where to send them, okay? You'll find a use for them before I ever will.

Thanks again, and God bless!

Richie

Wow Ritchie, thank you for the offer on the bearings, i really appreciate it! :grin:
i'll send a PM!
thank you!

Hello, this is my first post so please forgive me if I don't get it right. I have recently acquired a JET hvm-1pfb mill also. I'm in the process of wiring up the phase converter now. The machine seems to be in good shape, been in storage for years. My problem is no manual but I got copies from the forum ( thanks to everyone). I didn't get any tooling so I have no idea about spindle taper and collet holder. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks

Understood Doc, thank you! Much of what I've read likely pertained to tapered roller bearings, but the distinction wasn't made clear. I'll just bring the nuts up nice and easy to remove any axial play. The bearings were ordered today, and should be here this time next week at the latest.

Tomorrow I've gotta see a man about a spring, as the quill return spring in that head was broken. For twenty years, my wife ran the night shift at John Evans Sons in Lansdale, they're America's oldest springmaker. I talked to their head honcho today, and he agreed to wind a new one for me. The wire is 5/32, so that spring would be VERY difficult to wind in either of my South Bend lathes (9 and 10-inch)!

In the meantime, I've been keeping myself busy in the parts washer. I'll report in when I have more news...

Richie
Richie, Doc,

I was so glad to find these posts, you went through exactly what I'm about to undertake!

Richie - do you have a picture or a drawing of the quill return spring? Mine is missing entirely and I need to make one. Any guidance is appreciated!

Many thanks,

Bob

Back