Jet10X24 is it worth it.

What is MKSJ? Googled it, and got a lot of "Don't click here!" flags from the AV program! :distress:

$1,200 is a good price in TX.
If there's nothing wrong with it, I'd buy it.

The rusty looking 1024 might be o.k. if not rusted in critical areas,lke dovetails. Bed looks o.k.. But,anyone who lets his lathe get in that condition VERY WELL have never taken good care of it,like oiling things.

The trouble with 1024's being offered today is they are all gear heads. Those just don't give as smooth a finish as belt driven. But,speeds are easier to change,obviously. My Grizzly 16" is dead accurate,but leaves echoes of the gear drive on the work. Those have to be gotten rid of to get a smoother finish.

My belt driven Jet 1024 in the 70's gave finishes that looked nickel plated. Wish hadn't sold it,but needed the money for the 16" and the Bridgeport clone.

Did get it, Was not rusty, just covered in old oil and dust etc. Seemed like they did not ever clean all the cosmoline off of it. either, Pulled the apron and the gears were still covered in the original grease but hard as a rock. no wear visible on them once cleaned. Could still see the grind pattern in the ways where they were ground. can see the scraping marks for the slides, Jibs etc. Took it all apart and cleaned and putting it back together. My purple cleaning solution I found will take off some of the some of the paint with the old junk, but it looks good.

Ken, Any pictures of you new toy?

The jet 1024 are very nice small lathe, especially at the price and condition of the one you described. Since they use a two belt drive system, the motor is very well isolated, and the 3 phase motor is much smoother. I have built three VFD systems for the 1024's, I would suggest the ideal VFD motor size is 1.5Hp but 1.0Hp would also work well, an inverter type (Marathon BlackMax or Baldor IDNM style) give great motor control. The original controls are push buttons on the left side of the head, on the last build I integrated all the controls and tach into one control box. Alternative is to use two small pods, one for the direction controls, the other for speed, jog, E-Stop. The proximity sensor is an electronic stop system that can be integrated in the system and controls the carriage stop position. It works well for threading and repetitive and will repeat to a stop position of better than 0.001". The electronic braking allows quick stopping, but it can be an issue with threaded chucks. Lots of way to set these up, but they are very nice lathes if in good condition.
Jet Control System.jpg

KV,I'm glad there wasn't really any rust! Sure looked like it in the pictures. BE SURE to OIL the gear train on the back side of the headstock. At least one runs on a PLAIN cast iron axle. A small gear,less than 2" in diameter. When I was younger and less experienced,I failed to oil that axle and it froze up and broke off. Those Asians seem to cast everything. Not that cast iron is not a good axle. But a bit weak. A steel axle with an oil bearing bronze would be best. Fortunately,since it was my only lathe,it only disabled the power feed. I hand fed a new axle of steel with an oil bearing porous bronze sleeve pressed on. And was sure to keep it oiled there after. Probably still running. I have no idea who has it now.

The only other thing that ever broke down was the starting switch of the motor(3/4 H.P.,IIRC.) I had a bad time getting the snotty parts man to help me out. WHY did a large company like JET NOT take Visa over the phone ? I made the mistake of mailing a check. Should have sent a money order,as the jerk made me,a customer,wait till the check cleared. It took me 19 days to get the $2.00 part that they charged me $20.00 for. Just a metal ring with a tungsten contact on it. I SWORE I'd never deal with Jet again! I even spoke to the president,a Mrs. Lyon(sp?) She just referred me back to the parts guy. Another man there,who I had previously done business with,was trying to get the parts guy to stop being a road block. It didn't work either.

Last edited:
The jet 1024 are very nice small lathe, especially at the price and condition of the one you described. Since they use a two belt drive system, the motor is very well isolated, and the 3 phase motor is much smoother. I have built three VFD systems for the 1024's, I would suggest the ideal VFD motor size is 1.5Hp but 1.0Hp would also work well, an inverter type (Marathon BlackMax or Baldor IDNM style) give great motor control. The original controls are push buttons on the left side of the head, on the last build I integrated all the controls and tach into one control box. Alternative is to use two small pods, one for the direction controls, the other for speed, jog, E-Stop. The proximity sensor is an electronic stop system that can be integrated in the system and controls the carriage stop position. It works well for threading and repetitive and will repeat to a stop position of better than 0.001". The electronic braking allows quick stopping, but it can be an issue with threaded chucks. Lots of way to set these up, but they are very nice lathes if in good condition.
View attachment 237723
I am interested in this, the 10x24 I got prior had a VFD setup on it but did not have the TAC or prox setup etc. Just gave me forward and reverse with variable speed and E stop.
I only have 110 in the garage, but would like to get your info or whatever is needed to build. may take me a while and I am not one that does much in electronics.

George, I will Take a look at the shafts, This one is a newer version Some time in the 80s I think, Did not see a place to oil them but will look more.

That might have caused my shaft to freeze up. I always did oil all the oil ports. I don't think that axle had a place to oil it.

Back