Johansson Mill

Old Fixer

Registered
Registered
I have a Johansson Model A37 Ser. 5254 The plate says Johansson & Windle Chicago, Ill. For all practical purposes it looks like the Clausing 8520. It came with an assortment of collets - couple of #2 MT and some marked #7 which I assume are B&S. They vary in length from 2 7/8" to 3 1/6" so most are pulled way up in the spindle and the longest(unmarked) protrudes about 1/4". Are the B&S and The Morse interchangeable? I didn't think so but the seem to work. I want to buy a new set but I can't decide on which one !! The Clausing drawings list both. Thanks for the help :)

Likely the MT collets are B&S on the outside and MT on the inside. Morse and B&S tapers are entirely different; B&S has less taper per ft. than Morse and stays put in a milling spindle much better than Morse, that is without a drawbar.

this site:
http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=4682

says:
This company began as the Johansson & Windle Co. in the late 1940s or early '50s. In roughly 1953 the name changed to I. O. Johansson Co. In 1965 the company was acquired by the Clausing Division of Atlas Press Co.

I. O. Johansson Co. made vertical and horizontal milling machines, most of which were badged as Clausing and sold by the Clausing Division of Atlas Press Co. In addition, they made box-column drill presses that were available in both radial and conventional variants.

and this site:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/clausing vertical/

says:
Clausing vertical and horizontal Millers were manufactured by the Johansson Company, a firm that Atlas/Clausing eventually bought out.

So that explains why the Johansson mill looks like a Clausing.

That second link also states:
The hardened, chrome-nickel steel spindle could be ordered with either a No. 2 Morse (Model 8520) or a No. 7 Brown and Sharpe taper (Model 8525)

John (@benmychree) is correct, they are NOT interchangeable.

-brino

Last edited:
That is why Johannson appears in the Forum name. I don't know which Johannson model number crosses to which Clausing number. But you need to identify which taper your spindle is and stick to that type of tooling.

That is why Johannson appears in the Forum name.

Well, hey yeah, look at that...... I got here from "What's New".
I didn't even notice which forum it was posted in...... :guilty:

-brino

Thanks for the replies ! Since my mill is a Johansson & Windle I assume it is an early one especially since it is an A37 model. I'm guessing it is probably a B&S taper spindle. But I guess the only way to know for sure is to get out the spotting blue. I always get it all over the place - kinda like painting. :rolleyes:. I'll post back and let you all know what I find. Thanks again !

When I was trying to find B&S #11 tooling for my old mill (https://www.hobby-machinist.com/gallery/users/brino.28808/) I found a sheet of clear plastic and with a marker and my Machinery's Handbook I layed out all the common tapers (MT2, MT3, MT4, MT5, B&S #7, B&S #9, B&S #11) and then cut them out with an x-acto knife. That produced both male and female patterns that I could take with me to the used tool stores and see what matched.

The female cut-outs I kept as a sheet, the male ones I put of a key-chain ring. Each had the size marked on it.

I'll try to dig them out and get some photos......

-brino

Ok - the results are in. It's a B&S 7. brino - that's a clever idea that I may borrow from you :) Thanks for all the great responses!

Back