John B. Stevens Rotary Table

MyLilMule

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I bought this at an auction, but can’t seem to find any information on it. Vintage Machinery doesn’t have much on this company other than they were dissolved in 1967.

One thing that is puzzling is the purpose of the slotted set screw next to the handle. And is it even in the right location. I’ve only ever seen one other table like this and it was on eBay. On that one, the oiler and the slotted set screw are reversed. On mine, the Gits oiler won’t thread into the other hole.

I am fairly certain the hex head set screw sets the backlash on the worm.

Does anyone else have one like this or any other helpful information?

86e9057d80615ad0f83ff3720e261b6e.jpg

1018945c1612e00297d8f98fa1b0e8df.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I agree with Dabbler, It IS a nice looking table! Given rarety of it (& information), it may be best to disassemble it in order to discover it's attributes.

I agree with Dabbler, It IS a nice looking table! Given rarety of it (& information), it may be best to disassemble it in order to discover it's attributes.
Thanks. I have had it apart and cleaned it. Everything seems to be in order.
Hardly earth shattering but…
View attachment 393001
This one is a bit different. I see no indication that a dividing plate could be attached to it. I also believe these ones had a pin in it that would index eery 10 degrees. Mine doesn't have that either.

The puzzling part is the slotted set screw and the Gits oil cup. Are they in the right places, and what the hell is the slotted one intended to do? It would make a little sense if they were reversed on this one, based on what I see when I look into the holes. In the hole where the slotted screw is, there's nothing more than the shaft spinning under it. On the other one, it COULD be for some kind of a lock, but that would be redundant and not make any sense.

Back