John deere 265

Blackhawk

Active User
Registered
Got a 265 at auction that I am trying to get running, tracked the first problem to the starter. Dealer confirmed sylonoid worked and starter locked. Kind of figured because of all the hammer marks I saw on the side of it, use to do that myself to a bad starter I had in a 73 impala. Anyway, with no rebuild kit I decide if I can take a look and see what's wrong. Took it apart and see lots of gunk, especially the sealed bearing. I clean up all the gunk and soak the bearing in oil until I can get it turning smoothly, I know I should not be using oil but I just want want starter to kick motor to check compression and other stuff before I continue to put money in mower. All is going well till I start putting the springs that hold tension on the magnets back in, got three in going for forth and all of the sudden one bounces off my safety glasses and two bounce off my forehead. I could only find three. Any ideas where I can get a replacement? Dealer no longer sells replacement parts and a new one local is 500

lanham

Thanks for the link Frank.

was thinking of going that rout but wanted to save money in case engine was bad. I found a spring in my kit bag that actually worked. Fired right up, now I got to find out why I got no spark?

Lanham

started chasing the spark yesterday and poped the top to find a family of dead mice on the engine. not sure what its called but the part on the lower left side of the engine that provides electric to the plug was corroded pretty bad, cleaned that up and looking for the gap? not sure where to find it, then i will put it back together and see if i got spark. will pic wont load so i will do it when i get home

lanham

Should be a Kawasaki FC540V. I've got the workshop manual for it, PM me if you need it.

Roger that, it's the Kawasaki FC540V

put it all back together and still no spark, going to try to bypass the two (that I know of) safety switches and try again later

lanham

replaced the regulator and still got a weak spark, i can see it spark at the plug but when i put it against the block it wont jump:thinking: more troubleshooting today, i need to get this thing going so i can till for the garden.

lanham

Replaced the igniter module, John deere wanted 90, thanks oldmachinist I got it from kt parts for 12, now I got spark but won't start without ether. Took off the fuel line and turned over and fuel squirts then air then squirts fuel then air, weak fuel pump?:thinking:

lanham

After thinking on the fuel pump for a bit I changed directions and went to the carb, found some trash in the bowl and noticed the sylonoid had a loose wire. Tested it by grounding on frame and it worked intermittently then sparked out and died. Got a new one in the mail and should be here Monday.

Lanham

Back