John deere 265

I put the new sylonoid in and it would not start, shot some ether and fired right up. Ran it for a few minutes and took off the jumper cables and it died. Hooked back up the jumper cables and would not start without ether. Ran for about 5 minutes and took off jumper cables and again died. No smoke and exhaust smelled fine. This is nuts, my grass is up to my knees already.

Does the starter charge the bat?

oh yea, I was doing yard work last week and found the spring that bounced off my fore head a month ago, what luck, I'll put it back in the starter and try again, the replacement I put in was very weak.

any suggestions?
lanham

Do you have a battery hooked up? Some small engines will not run without a battery. This charging system is a stator under the flywheel. Page 35 of the service manual has some troubleshooting info.

Was jumping from my truck, read the manual again and will try that.

thanks

lanham

Put in a new battery and mowed for about 2.5 hours yesterday and parked the mower. Checked the battery this morning and got 12.92 volts. Still got a slight surg to the motor and just a hint of smoke. The surg may be a leak at the carb because I used the same gaskets when I rebuilt and did not use an o-ring when I replaced the fuel sylonoid. Smoke, valve adjustment or carb adjustment:thinking:???

Now time to install the tiller and get some more work done.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As luck would have it I am missing a plate to install on the lift lever. John deere wants 700.00 for the kit. I only need the bracket. Does anyone know where I might find dimensions for this bracket. Not sure what to make it out of either. It's the plate that pin 1 goes into.

lanham

image.jpg

Plate was likely made from 7 or 9 gage steel plate. I'd just use a piece of 1/4" steel to make it. What I do on something like this is to make model from 1/4" plywood to check fit. Sometimes it takes several times making it until it works right and then I make the steel one from the working model.

thanks don, will definately use that advice for an upcoming project I have. Went to the john deere store and they Han the bracket for 27 so I just ordered it, should be here Tuesday. I'm a llittle excited how the tiller will work. I'm very impressed with the tractor so far. Has lots of power.

lanham

Tiller really sucked, I can't believe they cost over 2000.00 new. I went at that piece of ground for at least an hour and could only get down to two inches in some spots, others it would only take the grass off. I was so ******, guess that's why the guy said he only used it once and sold it to me for 475.00

was so ****** I could not sleep, grabbed a flashlight and went back out last night to take a look and saw that the blades are turning the wrong direction, how could that be?

Lanham

The good news is you discovered the problem. Once you solve it, that machine will work like a charm. My guess is the routing of the drive belt needs to be looked. Oh, I fixed your pic in the earlier post.

Thanks randy,

looked at the belts for a couple of hours yesterday and could not figure it out, had to sleep on it. Took 10 minutes to rearrange the belts and works like a champ not

lanham

Back