John Deere F935 rebuild

F

f350ca

Forum Guest
Register Today
A buddy gave me these two front mount mowers.
They're almost identical, must be different years, the pro drive is on the front of the engine on one and the rear on the other. They have 22 HP Yanmar diesels, one put a rod through the block the other wouldn't start after sitting over the winter.
Will rebuild the one with the roof and disassemble the other for parts.
The paint has pealed for some reason, will either sand it down or sand blast it.

KIMG0485.jpg

KIMG0486.jpg

More to follow

Greg

What a very COOL project. Looking forward to seeing your progress. :encourage:

Aw the smell of diesel exhaust. A buddy came over determined we were going to get that engine running, if for no other reason than to show Kelly that gave me them there was nothing wrong. We think someone (maybe Kelly) used too much either and dried the cylinders out, after bleeding all the lines we could get a faint sound of firing but very little smoke. Bought a can of either and it did nothing, then sprayed a pile of Crown rust inhibiter down the intake, then we started getting smoke. Some more either and better firing. The final straw was a good shot of my penetrating oil (ATF/Acetone). As soon as it went into the intake it took off. Clouds of smoke and rough for a few minutes then all of a sudden smoothed out and smokeless. Touch the key now and instant fire.
KIMG0487.jpg

Greg

That's a familiar site. I seem to be really good at tearing things apart. It's the reassembly that sometimes eludes me. Congrats on getting it running. Mike

John Deere makes a snow blower for this tractor but its of course priced green. The pto speed on this is 2400 rpm so they use either a gear reducer or some have a chain drive, we'll go chain, needed a donor for the box that drives the auger. Mentioned it to a buddy who had a Gravely Snow Cannon. What a beast, Im sure OHAS would love it.
IMG_3890.jpg
The cast iron box should be plenty heavy for a 48 inch wide auger.

Greg

Well the second mower fell apart too.
But the good news is Saddie found a safe home in the shop.
IMG_3902.jpg
She was pretty grimy, a dirty three day job tearing it down. Now to remember where all the parts go, and in the right order. A lot of the assemblies have to fit in before the next layer.
IMG_3904.jpg
IMG_3906.jpg

IMG_3907.jpg
During the teardown I didn't find a lot of wear. Lots of dry or seized joints though.
We came out of the deep freeze here for two days, from -30 C at night to two days of 10 c above. Lost all our snow so the skidoo is parked again. Took advantage of the heat, actually pushed the teardown to degrease everything with Super Clean and wash it all down outside with the pressure washer.
Theres lots of rust on the frame, think it may have been used with a snowblower a some time. The engine has a block heater.

IMG_3915.jpg
Lots of now clean parts.
IMG_3916.jpg

Hard to believe thats the same rear end. Or front end in this case.
Super Clean, comes in a purple pottle, is by far the best degreaser I've run across. I use it before painting to remove oil from machining.
IMG_3917.jpg

Thanks for watching.

Greg

IMG_3902.JPG

But the good news is Saddie found a safe home in the shop.
She was pretty grimy, a dirty three day job tearing it down.

Maybe some doggy cover-alls are in order. ;)

Great progress Greg!
However, now we're back to freezing temps and some "replacement" snow......

-brino

Maybe some doggy cover-alls are in order. ;)

Great progress Greg!
However, now we're back to freezing temps and some "replacement" snow......

-brino
Rubber boots are what she needs, had to run to town today for more degreaser, the truck seat is mud covered now.
The temperature dropped from 9 to 2 in an hour while we were driving.

Greg

Wanted to check the brakes and lube the cams. The drums are keyed to a straight shaft with a single one inch fine thread nut holding them on the axle. Straightened the keepers and removed the nuts from both sides with the impact. Tired tapping this drum off no go, so made puller out of that 3/8 plate I'd cut off a column. Used 3 , 7/16 bolts into the holes for the wheel studs. Fought it all the way, tighten up the bolts and hammer on the plate, repeat and repeat and repeat. The other drum almost fell on the floor while I was hammering this one. You can see the bend in the plate from the force it took to move. Finally got it apart and found no reason for it being so tight. Wire brushed the bore and sanded the axle and it slipped back on. HUM. Buffed the shoes and cleaned up the drum, ready to go.
IMG_3920.jpg

Greg

Back