John Deere F935 rebuild

Thanks Jeff. They're a great source of cheap sheet metal, lots of them available, the insurance company's up here won't insure you if the tank is over 10 years old. Think they hold shares in the tank companies. I've never cut one apart that had any internal rust.

Greg

Nice work repurposing the tank, looks great.

Paco

Somehow spent 3 or 4 hours making a telescopic compass to cut the hole for the lower housing. Then about 2 minutes to cut the hole.
IMG_3958.jpg
Could cut the top half of the hole as setup then angled the torch head to cut the bottom of the curve.
Clamped the guide rod to the overhead crane to get it plumb
IMG_3959.jpg

Not a perfect hole but close enough to get it welded.

IMG_3960.jpg

Cut the back plate out, need to check shaft alignment to the gearbox and centring before i weld it in.
The plasma table saves hours on parts like this.
IMG_3961.jpg

Thanks for watching

Greg

Trimmed the blower tube to match the auger housing and added an angle iron stiffener / wear bar to the bottom. The blower housing isn't quite round, out about a 1/4 of an inch but looks like I can push and pull it into shape with a jack and pipe clamp.IMG_3964.jpg

Greg

Hey Greg,
Thats looking great man, hard to believe that was a tank in a former life.

Thanks Paco, the question is wether it will through snow efficiently though. We're getting unseasonably mild weather here, may not get a chance to try it out this year. BUT that wouldn't bother me a bit, bring on summer.

Greg

Started building the mount for the tractor. The Blower rear baring will be mounted to it as well as the pto inpt and chain reduction.
The mount uses 2x2 square tube with sleeves for the lock pins.
Drilling the holes for the sleeves. The bigger press makes short order of big holes, the Delta's belts slip bad and I don't like using large drills in the mill, not what it was meant for.
IMG_3968.jpg

Made plates to reduce the stress on the housing where the mounting bars attach.
Made this roller about 15 years ago when I was building the other snow blower.
IMG_3969.jpg

The arms welded to the blower
IMG_3970.jpg

Greg

Back