John Steptoe Shaper Co, 14" shaper

Superburban

Registered
Registered
I adopted this shaper a few weeks back. It has seen a well pampered life. I hope I look half as good when I'm 111 years old.index.php?action=dlattach;topic=119659.jpg

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=119659.jpg

Since they only used the name "The john Steptoe Shaper co", from 1903 to 1917. From Vintage Machinery.

(Steptoe, McFarlan & Co. was founded in 1860 as a partnership between John Steptoe and Thomas McFarlan. It was reorganized in 1878 as John Steptoe & Co. In 1903, the firm incorporated as the John Steptoe Shaper Co. By 1917 it was operating as the John Steptoe Co.).

Along with the serial nimber of 2-82, I'm thinking it is the 2nd year of production (1905), and the 82 machine made that year.

Its a 14" reach, and has a variable speed electric drive, that I bet was added much later.

DSC00738.JPG

Even has a rather odd hacksaw attachment.

?action=dlattach;attach=459705;image.jpg

Nice machine there! I have a Roto-Cone drive on my 8" shaper too -- they're nice.
You're going to to have lots of fun now.

-frank

That is a really great shaper you have . The cone drive looks just like the one on my DoAll bandsaw.
Cheers
Martin

Nothing like a cup of coffee, some bluegrass and a shaper at sun-up on a Saturday morning!

Daryl
MN

She's a beauty. Looks like a few hinge pins will be on your project list. Mike

Very nice. The hacksaw is not that strange, it is used for narrow deep slots that would break a normal tool, think of it like a parting tool on a lathe.

Nice machine, they did a nice job on the motor drive. Proves horse power isn't always the only way to get torque. Good luck with her.

Thanks Guys. I got it in the shop, but still have not made room to really set it up.

Back